• Smoke Lifters

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by NYC_Dave

Regarding the photo in the Kalmbach book, Eastern Railroads.

After looking at a number of other photos of trains in the Peekskill/Roa Hook area, I think I know what the object is. There was a drawbridge across Peekskill Creek beyond the rear of the train. And there was a row of pilings extending out from the drawbridge into the Hudson River – probably to mark a channel for boats. I believe we are seeing the end of these pilings plus their reflection – note the reflection of the mountain in the calm water to the left.

And one other point - the photo was taken in 1941. The small experimental Mohawk smoke lifters were not used until 1943-44. The large smoke lifters did not appear on Mohawks and Niagaras until 1945.
  by Clydel41

Fellas,

Look closely - expand the screen to the max on your Computer.. the projection on the engineer side it attached to the smoke box. Now look closely at the other side
(Firemens side). The projection is present there as well. It appears to be some sort of light support as two faint round lens can be seen directly above the steps that run up the side of the engine smoke box.

Clydel