• Epic Blizzard of 2013 Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Amtrak7

According to the alerts most services had 10-15min delays. Not bad!
  by Rbts Stn

Little yellow something or other with a big blower (not active) on the back end just went by here blowing it's horn (sounded like a '66 Chevy), heading inbound.
  by rmccown

Amtrak7 wrote:According to the alerts most services had 10-15min delays. Not bad!
Yep, yesterday on the Fitchburg line was ok, at least for me. The 412 inbound was about 5 minutes late getting to Littleton, and arrived in Boston maybe 10 minutes late? 433 outbound last night was maybe 5 minutes slow.
  by Komarovsky

Still having issues with signals on the south side. Between Yawkey and Back Bay the inbound trains have been forced to stop before proceeding since the storm.
  by StevieC48

I know its OT but the CSX line here in Taunton was opened today at 1pm when the lime green small locomotive came through. Too far to get the shot and see the markings so IDK if it was a CSX engine or leased. Ill ask on CSX but does anyone know what kind of locomotive and is it CSX's. Lime green and it was small like it was shrunk down MBTA 3246 CR. Place in proper thread if needed.
  by MBTA1016

It might have been leased or a repainted ex-bay colony loco. Im just guessing, I don't know who controls what tracks down in that area.
  by Zanperk

StevieC48 wrote:I know its OT but the CSX line here in Taunton was opened today at 1pm when the lime green small locomotive came through. Too far to get the shot and see the markings so IDK if it was a CSX engine or leased. Ill ask on CSX but does anyone know what kind of locomotive and is it CSX's. Lime green and it was small like it was shrunk down MBTA 3246 CR. Place in proper thread if needed.
CSX has barf green MoW equipment. Was it a jet blower, or a snow blower?
  by StevieC48

Just a small engine lime green solo with just the plows on the ends.
  by Disney Guy

Does the T have (or still have) a snow melter consisting of an airplane jet engine mounted on a rail car?

Would anyone have an idea of how many miles of double track it could keep clear by going back and forth given snowfall of half an inche per hour, one inch per hour, etc.?
  by BostonUrbEx

Disney Guy wrote:Does the T have (or still have) a snow melter consisting of an airplane jet engine mounted on a rail car?

Would anyone have an idea of how many miles of double track it could keep clear by going back and forth given snowfall of half an inche per hour, one inch per hour, etc.?
I think the fuel consumption makes such equipment only viable for switches and crossovers, not continuous trackage.
  by chrisf

BostonUrbEx wrote:I think the fuel consumption makes such equipment only viable for switches and crossovers, not continuous trackage.
If I'm not mistaken, these jet blowers move at not much more than walking speed, making their use generally impractical on the road.
  by Dtiger

Disney Guy wrote:Does the T have (or still have) a snow melter consisting of an airplane jet engine mounted on a rail car?

Yes, known as Snowzilla