Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by bellstbarn

The website wcbs880.com contains news tonight that turnstiles are being installed at Harrison westbound. How is it that I missed a free ride to Newark all these years? (Of course, I never went downstairs at Harrison!)

by Irish Chieftain

As it was explained to me, the full fare on PATH was officially recognized as a full round-trip fare between Newark and Harrison, with fare collected at Newark only. So, yes; a free ride on PATH westbound from Harrison to Newark has been available for decades...and IIRC, there are turnstiles at the westbound track in Harrison station, but only for use when there is bidirectional service on the westbound track during times when the eastbound track is out of service for repairs (i.e. when you board at Platform H in Newark).

Perhaps they'll be building a connection to the EWR monorail in earnest in the near future, and this is mere preparation for it? Who knows.

by njtmnrrbuff

I know we want free rides but every station should be treated the same. If the price is too much for you, walk. No, I'm not kidding. Newark is right across the river from Harrison, and it is probaly walkable between Harrison and Penn station. Just like walking across the river from downtown Albany to Rennselear. Also, Newark is coming back a lot but it might not be the best idea to walk between Harrison and NWK after dark.

by Irish Chieftain

every station should be treated the same
The Harrison round-trip worked very well for decades, and since it's a readily-absorbed cost by the PANYNJ, there is no real reason for it to not continue—unless, of course, the extension to EWR monorail station is forthcoming.

As for walking...the NEC is the most direct route between Harrison PATH and Penn Station. Any other road route is circuitous. Walking via either Jackson Avenue bridge to Raymond Boulevard or Bridge Street to McCarter Highway will take you a half-hour either way. The one consolation is that bus routes 39 and 40 do have a cheaper fare—but route 39 does not serve Penn Station until late at night, and the 40 is infrequent.

I can bet that if Port Authority Transit of Pittsburgh, PA disestablishes its Free Fare Zone, they will lose quite a bit of ridership to outlying areas. Sometimes free is good...and I have no problem with my tax dollars supporting it, for one...
Last edited by Irish Chieftain on Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

by njtmnrrbuff

It all depends where you live in Harrison, in terms of walking. I believe on SIRT, it is a free ride on the entire system except getting on at St. George, and I might be riding that in a few weeks.

by Ken W2KB

The fare for the 1 minute ride from Harrison to Newark wouldn't necessrily have to be set at the regular fare, could be 50 cents or some such.
  by Head-end View

At St. George you pay getting on and off the train IIRC, but otherwise it is a free ride between other stations. :wink:

by Ken W2KB

And the ferry free for anyone, correct?

by Irish Chieftain

Yup...the one-time 50¢ fare, payable only at St. George, was removed under Giuliani IIRC.

by quadrock

So is the trip from Harrison to Newark Penn still free, or is the full $1.50 fare being charged? Also, if I am going from Newark to 33rd street, is the transfer at Journal Square free, or will I have to pay an additional $1.50?

by Irish Chieftain

This only applies to Harrison Station. Nothing to do with Journal Square. Don't forget that free transfers at Grove Street and Exchange Place (weekly) still apply.

I haven't gotten into the area for a while, so I don't know if this has been instituted yet. If it has, then NJT's bus route 40 might see some extra riders...
  by Head-end View

Quad: Newark to 33rd St is a free transfer at Journal Square; right across the platform. :-D