• Herbert Matter logo question

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by khansingh

Obscure question here, but why do newer uses of the New Haven logo have an extra serif? Was it to get around some copyright, or was it just an oversight?

Sans serif

Avec serif
  by 3rdrail

I'm assuming that you are referring to the bar at the bottom of the "N" on its right side and if so, it appears to be a mistake because if you look at the sides of the engines, they don't have it.
  by bill8106

The "NH" on the noses of FL-9s had the serif on the lower corner of the "N" going back to the New Haven days, while the "N" on the sides did not. See photo below. I suspect they were delivered from EMD this way. It seems that no (or few) other diesel units, EP-5s, cabooses, or anything that had the block "NH" logo had the extra serif.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nh/nh2002goa.jpg
  by Statkowski

GP-40s? Perhaps you meant E-40s? But, that was a PC class, not a NH class.

In any event, the logo on the nose and sides of the EP-5 is the correct logo - no extra serif on the "N". The nose logo on the FL-9s was wrong, but was never corrected.
  by Statkowski

The Shoreline East GP40-2Hs were brought on board long after the New Haven died (but the logo lived on). Yes, both the nose logo and side logo have a serif on the "N", which is technically wrong, but looks nicer, which is probably why they used it.
  by khansingh

Yeah, I thought that maybe when they decided to get them in that paint scheme, they were concerned about copyright issues, and tried to change the logo enough to get around them.
  by Statkowski

Had there been any copyright issues, which there weren't, changing the appearance of one letter slightly would not have skirted the issue.

The font used by Herbert Matter in the original design is called Extended Egyptian, and in it the "N" is sans serif, not avec serif.
  by 3rdrail

I think that our friend is playing a little play on words with us, Statkowski. French avec=with, sans=without.
  by Statkowski

In fontology (or whatever it's called), those two are the correct terms to use. Such is the beauty of the English language - occasionally it steals words and phrases from other languages.
  by khansingh

I'm a Patriots fan, and some people were arguing about "Pat Patriot" vs. "Flying Elvis." Someone raised the point that, putting aside the aesthetics, "Flying Elvis" is a superior logo because it's simpler, more direct, and easier to reproduce. I think this is the case with the Matter logo, compared to the "Coke" logo, and that's one reason that people in Connecticut have taken to it.