• Surviving Mileposts on Former B&M Lines

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by B&Mguy

I have always been interested in the old granite mileposts and enjoy coming across them while exploring the remains of old lines in the woods. I was wondering what some of the more obscure ones that people know of are? (I'm not referring to ones on current main lines, but rather on more obscure abandoned branch lines, and old ROWs).

Here are a few that I know of:

In Lebanon, ME on the former WN&P, there is a milepost indicating 104 miles to Worcester right next to the old Lebanon Depot

Just North of Concord, NH on the old Claremont and Concord, there is a milepost indicating Claremont Junction is 56 miles away.

I have heard that one survives on the old Essex Branch, but have never seen it. Can anyone verify this?

Also, I think this one is gone, but alongside US Route 4 in Canaan, NH, there used to be milepost that gave the distance to Boston as 126 miles.
  by Red Wing

Along the Central Mass in Clinton along the Reservoir there is a milepost, in West Boylston along the CM there is another and lastly along the CM in Rutland is another. All publicly accessible.
  by Engineer Spike

They are on the Fitchburg. I run on trackage rights out to Eagle bridge, and they are still used, but painted with the "Freight Main" mileages. They are even still on the former joint line between Mechanicville and Crescent.
  by Aerie

I seem to recall a milepost on the Lowell & Lawrence at Lowell Street (Rte 133) near Haggett's Pond in Andover.
  by 130MM

MP G6 (Georgetown) is just east of the Elm St. UG bridge at Bradford station in Haverhill. It's behind the liquor store.
  by CAMB.MASON

I also believe on the CM line there are also a number East of Sudbury diamond. There is one at the diamond, one in Weston and I think the one in Waltham still stands.
  by joshg1

Back in Concord there is at least one more just up the Northern, which interestingly measures the distance from Lowell (Middlesex). Not helpfully, I recall seeing a number of granite posts in the area stretching from eastern Mass to central VT, but did not take photos of them. *There must be* more on rail trails and other abandoned ROW. If anyone wants to go on wild goose chases I can remember most of the places I've explored.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48094458@N ... 43/sizes/n