Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

Yes any locomotive leading would require the Cab/ATC/ACSES system.
as for TSB the bridge will be build without rail , but with rail option. my bet is they will go for rail option before 10 years are over.
  by Backshophoss

Dutch,take a peek at the TZ thread,for all practical purposes,ALL mass transit was deleted from the bridge design :(,
the feeling I get off that thread is despite constant maintance,the current TZ span is an "accident waiting to happen"
  by MTASUPT

Signals will be color aspects at the Interlockings only.

CP Sterling, CP Harriman, CP Valley (No Longer Central Valley since the new Harriman cutover), CP Hudson Junction, CP Hall, CP Howells, CPOV, CP BC, CP PA and CP Sparrow

CP PA will be the new entrance/exit out of the yard at PO
  by SecaucusJunction

Thanks for the info. For some reason, I was thinking that Sparrow was the responsibility of NYSW. That CP PA seems long overdue and will save PJ commuters a few minutes on their trip. Any word on if and when the PJ yard realignment would happen? Also if there are any plans to upgrade CP Sparrow to a power switch? Just wondering.
  by JoeG

It would be great to see Dutch win his bet, but at the rate they are going the bare-bones bridge won't be built in 10 years. I hope I live to see rail service on the bridge, but a better bet is that my kids may see it.
  by RearOfSignal

Rail service on the bridge isn't the problem, connecting the bridge to existing rail in the problem. But that's for another thread.
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

The signal system could be similar to the LIRR's signal system, where the interlocking signals already in place (in LIRR's case the position lights, or the newer tri-light color signals) would remain (not to be replaced by any "dumbed-down" MNR type installation), but the automatic signals would be removed (much as how most of LIRR's automatics have been removed), and cab signaling governing the blocks in their place. Though, possibly some "distant" signals (signals governing the approach to an upcoming interlocking) might remain in place. As someone stated already, most of the interlocking on the PJ have recently received brand new color light signals, masts and installations along with many new interlocking switches, so I could not see that all, after the high cost of installing them, being taken out and replaced by "dumbed-down" EOH variety, and then the crews would have to be trained in the whole new signaling.
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

MTASUPT wrote:Signals will be color aspects at the Interlockings only.

CP Sterling, CP Harriman, CP Valley (No Longer Central Valley since the new Harriman cutover), CP Hudson Junction, CP Hall, CP Howells, CPOV, CP BC, CP PA and CP Sparrow

CP PA will be the new entrance/exit out of the yard at PO
So there will be no "distant" signals I guess??
  by ExCon90

Does "color aspects at interlockings" mean Limited Clear, Medium Clear, Medium Approach, etc., or just flashing green for everything?
  by northjerseybuff

When will this work be completed?
  by DutchRailnut

Darn that first post link does give a completion date :
  by MNR's #1 Conductor

ExCon90 wrote:Does "color aspects at interlockings" mean Limited Clear, Medium Clear, Medium Approach, etc., or just flashing green for everything?
Well since the WOH is NORAC territory, it would definitely include those.
  by SecaucusJunction

Plans to double track the PJ Line and add a new yard are moving forward... hopefully.

From Newsday:

" Metro-North is moving ahead with plans to add an extra track and a rail yard on its Port Jervis Line, as it tries to bump up ridership on the flagging commuter line west of the Hudson.

In the coming months, Metro-North officials are expected to ask their parent agency, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, to fund at least one of the projects. The additional track would be added north of Sloatsburg, where there is only one track for commuter trains, officials said.

Metro-North officials are hoping that track improvements will allow them to increase the frequency of trains on the Port Jervis Line, and that better service will lure more riders."

http://newyork.newsday.com/westchester/ ... 7?p=559888
  by CentralValleyRail

I've got a few questions regarding this upcoming plan. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm considering moving out of Bergen County to the Sailsbury-Mills Cornwall Area, a lot of nice new developments have broke out with a mile-mile and a half of the station and I've always loved that area however with weekend train service being a real problem and reverse peak service is non-existent at night's it's always put a damper on the idea, I travel at odd hours compared to the normal commuter for my job. I know if I really wanted to I could drive but having decent train service certainly helps.

1. How realistic is this of happening (either a 2nd track or extra siding in Middletown)?

2. What is the time frame (guesstimate) of it being completed? What steps have to be done after the funding is secured? Does an environmental study have to take place? Because I know those can take YEARS.

3. If question 1 and 2 are completed what kind of frequency would we be looking at (again obviously no one knows the answer but some of you I think would have a much better idea than myself) would they have more Expresses? (those NJ locals are killers)

4. If more train service comes to the area would the values of homes rise?

5. Does MN need more equipment to make this happen?

6. With more train service would there be freight interference?

Thanks in advanced and I know a lot of members like to attack each other on here I'm asking these questions without implying that any of the above is going to happen. It's for speculative reasons.

Thanks