• Union and seniority..

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Giant1xtc

I have worked for CN for 13 year's as a conductor. since Feb,2010 they have held 4 enginner apprentice class'es which i have applied for every one and not been chosen. My union says yes thats wrong. past presidence is that enginnner training goes in seniorty order. it actualy state's the most senior qualified conductor will be chosen. it's been that way for a hundred years. so the most recent class just went yesturday and still their is nothing the unino will do about it. any one that works for the railroad knows that seniorty is the one thing that should be protected. it protectes you from being forced to a diffrent terminal and govern's your days off. I AM JUST AMAZED...that all the money i pay those thief's every month they cant even protect my seniorty. can i take legal action myself? i just dont see how the carrier can pick and choose for a union craft. as far as im concerned the utu and the ble can go f--- themselves...they sure dont have a problem taking my money every month....
  by jz441

This makes no sense... Have you contacted your General Chairman and explained him your situation? Your Local Chairman is not doing his job and he should be replaced.
  by COEN77

Giant1xtc wrote:I have worked for CN for 13 year's as a conductor. since Feb,2010 they have held 4 enginner apprentice class'es which i have applied for every one and not been chosen. My union says yes thats wrong. past presidence is that enginnner training goes in seniorty order. it actualy state's the most senior qualified conductor will be chosen. it's been that way for a hundred years. so the most recent class just went yesturday and still their is nothing the unino will do about it. any one that works for the railroad knows that seniorty is the one thing that should be protected. it protectes you from being forced to a diffrent terminal and govern's your days off. I AM JUST AMAZED...that all the money i pay those thief's every month they cant even protect my seniorty. can i take legal action myself? i just dont see how the carrier can pick and choose for a union craft. as far as im concerned the utu and the ble can go f--- themselves...they sure dont have a problem taking my money every month....
First off which you know conductors & LE's are under two different unions. Secondly is there anything in your history that would prevent being qualified for engineer training like a DUI. Thirdly usually tests are given to those wanting to transfer into engine service the level of passing is higher than for trainmen. On the CN is engine service manditory? Some railroads have this clause others don't. If you've been a conductor for 13 years and been bypassed 4 times I'm taking it's not manditory. Most people I know wouldn't want to give up 13 years seniority to start at the bottom again by changing crafts. The unions take your money and you get nothing? LOL! Even though the UTU has engineers in it's ranks the BLEt holds the contract. Then again it isn't up to the unions who CN hires that's strictly their choice. CN would be the one to answer your question on why you've been denied.
  by DutchRailnut

maybe you got disqualified for spelling ?
  by Thunder

The RFE makes the decision. You may have too many lay offs, misuse of FMLA? BLET does NOT hold the contract for LETP. That is a UTU contract held over from the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen.

Sorry but I have to agree with the UTU being a bunch of crooks anymore. Have seen too many guys getting burned and told " We are doing everything we can" yet not doing a damn thing. BLET isnt as bad, but I have had them sell me down the river once or twice too. If you dont like how they are being run, then get out there adn get involved in your union.
  by slchub

First off, have your local define "qualified".

Then, based upon the qualifications outlined within your contract attack the issue from that stand point. You may not "qualify" for the promotion based upon those qualification points.

Good luck.