• D branch ghost station

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by The EGE

An anonymous editor on Wikipedia recently posted this question to a talk page:
My recollection is that the Fenway stop had limited service in the 1980's - Red Sox game day only?
I responded that to the best of my knowledge, Fenway has always been a full-service stop. I speculated they might be thinking of Yawkey, which was game days only from 1988 to 2001.

They replied:
I've pondered this endlessly, and cannot come up with any reasonable explanation. In the 1980's I took the Green Line D daily, and the commuter rail never. So unless Yawkey station used to serve the D Line, this is not the answer. I clearly remember the game-day packed-like-sardines experience on the D Line. But I also thought there was some special ghost-stop on the D Line somewhere around there, that was usually skipped... Maybe my memory is just defective?
I replied with the possibility of the former Woodland or Riverside stations, but I don't believe those are what they are thinking of, as neither has seen service since 1959.

So, then, does the D branch have any 'ghost stations', or were there any part-time stations on the line?
  by MBTA3247

The EGE wrote:I replied with the possibility of the former Woodland or Riverside stations, but I don't believe those are what they are thinking of, as neither has seen service since 1959.

So, then, does the D branch have any 'ghost stations', or were there any part-time stations on the line?
The old Riverside station is right out anyway, since it's on the Worcester Line, not the D Line.

I've never heard of a part-time station on any trolley line, unless the line itself was part-time.
  by joshg1

He must mean Fenway on the D branch. Was it sometimes skipped? I can't see that happening on the T in any incarnation. Ask the original memoirist if the station he recollects was in a tunnel or open air.
  by BostonUrbEx

After Kenmore flooded, would trains go through but not stop during reconstruction? Except on game days?
  by TomNelligan

I guess if it's on Wikipedia it must be true, but as one who's been riding the Riverside line periodically since the 1960s I can assure you that there have never been any part-time stops since trolleys started running there in 1959. However, as noted above, the Yawkey station on the B&A was initially a game-day stop only, so maybe there's some route confusion.
  by Rbts Stn

TomNelligan wrote:I guess if it's on Wikipedia it must be true, but as one who's been riding the Riverside line periodically since the 1960s I can assure you that there have never been any part-time stops since trolleys started running there in 1959. However, as noted above, the Yawkey station on the B&A was initially a game-day stop only, so maybe there's some route confusion.
LOFL!
  by The EGE

TomNelligan wrote:I guess if it's on Wikipedia it must be true, but as one who's been riding the Riverside line periodically since the 1960s I can assure you that there have never been any part-time stops since trolleys started running there in 1959. However, as noted above, the Yawkey station on the B&A was initially a game-day stop only, so maybe there's some route confusion.
Eh, I don't have any reason to believe or not believe them. The comment was on a talk page rather than an article. I figured since they were very specific about the memory, there might be some D branch history I didn't know about.
  by BandA

A bit off topic, but one or more of the stations on the D - Riverside - Highland Branch were demolished and replaced with wooden shelters. Why, and when? (1959?) Woodland survived because it was sold (?) to the golf club, the old Riverside station survived (only to burn down) because it was on the main line. Newton Highlands, Newton Center, and Newton Center freight stations still survive.
  by edbear

The large Boston & Albany stations on the Newton Highlands Branch were razed to provide parking spaces for the riders of the new trolley line.
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

I wonder if there was perhaps a diversion or maintenance going at the time of his memory?
I searched the MBTA route History.
http://www.transithistory.org/roster/MB ... istory.pdf

"Kenmore-Copley.
Between November 1987 and March 1988, work was carried out between
Copley and the portals south of Kenmore. Shuttle buses operated as 612 St.
Mary’s St-Fenway-Kenmore-Copley. Between April 1988 and December
1988, work was carried out between Kenmore and Park St. Shuttle buses
operated as 609.3 Kenmore-Park St., and 639 Forest Hills-Park St."

Perhaps he was somehow involved with this?
  by BandA

Resevoir was substantially modified and combined with the previously seperate Cleveland Circle. Perhaps a temporary station somewhere?