• Rotem Cars Discussion (new bi-level cars)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by sery2831

Surprised no one noticed! But the Rotem cars were put together with current equipment for some static testing to see how they trainline with each other over the weekend.
  by CircusFreakGRITZ

sery2831 wrote:Surprised no one noticed! But the Rotem cars were put together with current equipment for some static testing to see how they trainline with each other over the weekend.
Nice! Was this in the North side primarily?
  by AEM7AC920

Yes they will not venture south for quite some time since they need to be at BET for testing etc etc.
  by ck4049

I noticed the consist but this was my first chance to post about it. The consist was from North to South: 1800(facing North), 361, 516, 250, 800, 801, 802, 1709(facing South).
  by CircusFreakGRITZ

ck4049 wrote:I noticed the consist but this was my first chance to post about it. The consist was from North to South: 1800(facing North), 361, 516, 250, 800, 801, 802, 1709(facing South).
Cool! Can't wait to hopefully see them soon, although I always take the southern lines.
  by Arlington

Is the consist regularly running (every day? all hours?), like if I were to just rid in and wait through a cycle of arrives and departs at North Station, would I be likely to see them?
  by Diverging Route

Arlington wrote:Is the consist regularly running (every day? all hours?), like if I were to just rid in and wait through a cycle of arrives and departs at North Station, would I be likely to see them?
Static testing means they don't move. Then later dynamic testing means they move, but without passengers. Word on the street (oops, rails) is that the first passenger run may not be until March.
  by AEM7AC920

Yes I here the same timeline as well, engineers will start a 3 day training program on them early next year.
  by ns3010

ck4049 wrote:I noticed the consist but this was my first chance to post about it. The consist was from North to South: 1800(facing North), 361, 516, 250, 800, 801, 802, 1709(facing South).
Interesting that they can hook up the cars regardless of what direction they're facing. I know, at least on NJT, all cars must be facing the same direction (each A end coupled to a B end, with all B ends facing the locomotive) in order to hook up the MU and COMM lines. Do MBTA cars have the plugs on both sides of each ends of the cars?
  by sery2831

Yes. I am sure this is only with older NJT Equipment?
  by Arlington

Diverging Route wrote:
Arlington wrote:Is the consist regularly running (every day? all hours?), like if I were to just rid in and wait through a cycle of arrives and departs at North Station, would I be likely to see them?
Static testing means they don't move. Then later dynamic testing means they move, but without passengers. Word on the street (oops, rails) is that the first passenger run may not be until March.
I guess I knew that. What puzzles me is how anyone can tell the difference between cars sitting in a yard and cars undergoing static testing. Its the engine that gives it away? Or the guy with the hard hat and clipboard? ;-)

---
I wasn't napping, Boss, I was undergoing static testing.
  by ns3010

sery2831 wrote:Yes. I am sure this is only with older NJT Equipment?
Nope, all the pax cars are configured with the plugs on only one side (MU is on one side, COMM is on the other). The locomotives, however, have each plug on both sides. So all the cars have to be facing the same way, but the locomotive could face either way and be anywhere in the consist. For example you could have two strings of cars facing opposite ways with a locomotive in the middle if you wanted to (such as string of cars with B-ends facing east, locomotive, string of cars with B-ends facing west). Interestingly, this apparently used to be a common practice in early NJT days with two locomotives in the middle of two opposite facing consists, so that the sets could easily be split and sent different ways. This came up in this thread a few days ago.

Now back on topic:
Arlington wrote:What puzzles me is how anyone can tell the difference between cars sitting in a yard and cars undergoing static testing.
Look for the shiny new cars. They should stand out farily well... :-)
  by AEM7AC920

Arlington wrote:
Diverging Route wrote:
I guess I knew that. What puzzles me is how anyone can tell the difference between cars sitting in a yard and cars undergoing static testing. Its the engine that gives it away? Or the guy with the hard hat and clipboard? ;-)

---
I wasn't napping, Boss, I was undergoing static testing.
The cars are hooked up to ground power at the moment, I'm not sure if they even tested with a loco yet. Anyone else go by during the day and notice?
  by sery2831

They have not seen a locomotive yet. But rumored to be soon. Possibly this weekend or next...

As far as NJT having a set up like this is something I have never noticed. Does anyone else have it this way? I know the push pull Amtrak equipment is set up like the MBTAs equipment.
  by Matthew Mitchell

I probably have mentioned this before, but there is an awful lot of inspecting and testing that is going to get done on those cars before they even turn a wheel on their new home rails, let alone in revenue service. I can give some details if you want.