Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Jtgshu

I KNEW someone was gonna mention the leased Amtrak F40s :)

They were leased, I believe they were leased by Alstom for NJT as backup power because of the sad performance of the PL42s when they were new. I only know of a few times they were used, and each time, it was in work/extra service, I don't konw of them ever running in passenger service for NJT. They were unrebuilt Amtrak F40s that had a very nice coat of paint put on them. They were returned to Railworld I think after about a year, and IIRC, were bought and rebuilt for AMT and live and work up there.

But NJTs F40s, the 4113 to 4129 were bought new by NJT from EMD.

Keyboardkat, very interesting story! The Comet 1s (and I think Comaros too) had semi permament HEP cables, meaning the cable was mounted on one side of the car, the other side of the car had a plug for the wire from the next car. They didn't use seperate jumper cables. All the cars since use separate HEP jumper cables. The HEP cables aren't the problem tho, (with the cars other than Comet 1s) its the communication and locomotive control jumper cables. The locos have double plugs on both sides, but the coaches don't. They have one on one sid eof the coupler, the other on the other side of the coupler. So if one of the cars is "backwards" they can't connect the Communcation (orange plug) or the Locomotive Control (black plug) inbetween those two cars.

All the cars in a train have to face the same direction, but you can have a loco on either end. In the instance that you have with that train that would need to be split, what they would need to do is have the train with the loco leading, a cab car coupled to it, then say 5 cars. So on that 6 car train, the last car is not a cab car, but a regular trailer car. Then after that car, would be coupled to a cab car and another 5 cars and a loco pushing. When the train split, the first train would be running from the loco, the second train would be running from the cab car. Problem would be when that first train got to its terminal, it wouldn't be able to be run in the other direction as it would have no cab car leading.

Having the locos in the middle like that, both trains would be able to split, the lead train would be running from a cab car, the hind train would be running from the loco, and when both those trains were to arrive at their destination, they could be turned to come back, as they would be complete adn intact and "laced up" as we call it. It would also be easier for the passenger to tell its two separate trains going to two separate places if the two trains are divided by two very loud locomotives!
  by ns3010

As of today, only 4124, 4146, 4911, and 4913 remain in Morristown. 4124 was in front of the shops on track 3 and 4146, 4911, and 4913 (in numerical order west-east) were still up on the hill.

(sorry if this is slightly OT, but this was the most appropriate unlocked thread in which to post this)
  by 25Hz

ns3010 wrote:As of today, only 4124, 4146, 4911, and 4913 remain in Morristown. 4124 was in front of the shops on track 3 and 4146, 4911, and 4913 (in numerical order west-east) were still up on the hill.

(sorry if this is slightly OT, but this was the most appropriate unlocked thread in which to post this)
So, how many of those are fixed & how many still need the swap?
  by R36 Combine Coach

Has anyone considered reactivating the 11 (IIRC) Arrow I (Comarrow) cars at Raritan to help out until rolling stock and equipment are fully restored?
  by 25Hz

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Has anyone considered reactivating the 11 (IIRC) Arrow I (Comarrow) cars at Raritan to help out until rolling stock and equipment are fully restored?
By that logic they should first de-mothball the comet 3's.
  by therudycometh

25Hz wrote:
ns3010 wrote:As of today, only 4124, 4146, 4911, and 4913 remain in Morristown. 4124 was in front of the shops on track 3 and 4146, 4911, and 4913 (in numerical order west-east) were still up on the hill.

4147, 4201, 4203, 1002, and 4908 are all fixed and have left Morristown (although 4147 is OOS for other reasons now). 4907 is in the shop now, and the 4124, 4146, 4911, and 4913 still need to be fixed.
  by Jtgshu

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Has anyone considered reactivating the 11 (IIRC) Arrow I (Comarrow) cars at Raritan to help out until rolling stock and equipment are fully restored?
There aren't any Comaros in Raritan. The regular Comet 1s were in Raritan but they were picked up a few months ago, and IIRC are on the Winslow Connecting track at Winslow Jct.
  by 25Hz

therudycometh wrote:
25Hz wrote:

4147, 4201, 4203, 1002, and 4908 are all fixed and have left Morristown (although 4147 is OOS for other reasons now). 4907 is in the shop now, and the 4124, 4146, 4911, and 4913 still need to be fixed.
So, that's the diesels. What's the story with the electrics?
  by R36 Combine Coach

Jtgshu wrote:
There aren't any Comaros in Raritan. The regular Comet 1s were in Raritan but they were picked up a few months ago, and IIRC are on the Winslow Connecting track at Winslow Jct.
While many of the Arrow I/Comaros went west to Caltrans, the rest came back from Montreal. Where are these ones in question?
  by 25Hz

The 14 1B's came back from AMT and 14 (the same ones maybe?) were purchased by amtrak this year. I'm not sure if they have moved them west yet or if they are still in NJ. There are 16? remaining with NJT. :)

The 1A's are basically arrow 3's with no traction equipment.
  by R36 Combine Coach

The 16 Arrow I/Comet I-B units now at Caltrans were worked on by Morristown & Erie even before the other cars came back from AMT. Where are the 14 others?
  by CNJGeep

25Hz wrote:The 14 1B's came back from AMT and 14 (the same ones maybe?) were purchased by amtrak this year. I'm not sure if they have moved them west yet or if they are still in NJ. There are 16? remaining with NJT. :)

The 1A's are basically arrow 3's with no traction equipment.
The 1As are also razor blades.
  by therudycometh

25Hz wrote:
therudycometh wrote:
25Hz wrote:

Subcontracted warranty work, unrelated to the hurricane.
  by ACeInTheHole

therudycometh wrote:
25Hz wrote:
therudycometh wrote:
25Hz wrote:

Subcontracted warranty work, unrelated to the hurricane.
I hope that entails a software update for the 46As to knock out that unpredictable loading characteristic of theirs, I have gotten a few headaches from it, especially out of Broad... Not fun.
  by Jeff Smith

Kaback9 wrote:Alright folks. I really didn't want to have to lock this up but this seems to be people here believing they are in the right and everyone else on the matter is wrong. As they say Hindsight is 20/20. I think everyone needs to walk away from the computer for a little bit and calm down.
I agree. You all are just going back and forth now. If there is news on subsequent investigations or assignments of fault, etc., we can cover those, but otherwise it's hash and rehash.

I've merged the car topic into this recovery topic.

Let's keep this topic to recovery issues only, i.e. service restoration, damage estimates and reconstruction, fleet news, etc.