• Nippon Sharyo bilevels for Amtrak corridor trains

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by MACTRAXX

Tadman wrote:If you look at a surfliner and superliner in comparison, they have the same basic shell and trucks (for SL-II). This probably means the draft gear is the same, windows, end-doors, diaphragms, brakes, a/c units, machine rooms, etc... Paint doesn't mean much.

Pop quiz: what kind of traincar is this?

or this?

They're both actually Superliners in corridor paint, borrowd/bought for CA service because operationally and technologically they are very similar to the California Car. The big diff is doors and seat spacing, and that's because the original Superliner coach was designed to go on 24-hour runs with hours between stops. Corridor cars must keep a much tighter schedule and thus require fast unloading evidenced by 2 sets of double-doors. Heck, there are plenty of corridor runs shorter than your average delay on longer LD runs.
Tad: Interesting pictures...The tip-off here is the Amtrak car numbers...both with the Amtrak California and
Pacific Surfliner color scheme...I actually like the 4 arrow AC logo better then Amtrak's current logo...

A pet peeve of mine is calling this a PAINT scheme when more then likely these cars do not have one speck of
paint on them...

I like using the term "Stripe Type" but the neutral "Color Scheme" description fits the bill here...

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Tadman

Worth noting that ATSF used a baggage car with a streamlined cowl in front of their "hi-level" Superliner predecessors. It might be worth investigating a fiberglass bolt-on successor for trains used outside the west coast. Logistically, there would have to be some policy-making put in place as to how and where the bolt-ons happen, and maybe it would only be for corridor trains.
  by lirr42

kaitoku wrote:Artist's rendering of the new bilevels (domestic Nippon Sharyo press release Jpn. language)
http://www.n-sharyo.co.jp/topics/tp121107.pdf
*scroll down for the image

As you can see a wedge has been incorporated into the cab car front profile
Here's a crude translation of that document linked before, if you wanted to get the gist of what it said:
document wrote:Heisei 24 July '11
Each Place

Company shares of Japan car production tanks Company Name
Representative: President Akira Nakagawa
(: 7102, First Section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange, NSE code number)
Contact: Director of the General Affairs Division Director Kenichi Niimi
(Tel 052-882-3316)

Notice of the order of a railway vehicle for the U.S.

Nippon Sharyo Co., Ltd. (Headquarters: Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture, President: Akira Nakagawa, following vehicle "Japan") and its consolidated
NIPPON SHARYO USA subsidiary, headquarters INC (:, Illinois, USA, President:. Positive Koyasu, the "Japanese car
Both USA ": Chuo-ku, Tokyo, President: Sumitomo Corporation (Head Office), the Kuniharu Nakamura, following" with "), Sumitomo Corporation,
Sumitomo Corporation (U.S. Headquarters: New York City, New York, President: Takeshi Kano, the "Sumitomo Corporation of America"), the
As prime contractor, California Department of Transportation (California Department of Transportation, "Caltrans" below)
More, because we received an order for two 130 passenger two-story semi-high-speed railway, will be announced as follows.

1. Orders destination
California Department of Transportation (Caltrans)

2. Items ordered, quantity
130 both for high-speed rail passenger two-story semi-

3. Amount of contract
About 28 billion yen

4. Background and Summary of the order
Orders this time, Caltrans, but contact with the agreement, the American Midwest, Illinois, Michigan and Procurement has become a project in collaboration with each of the Missouri Department of Transportation, both 42 Caltrans, the Department of Transportation in the Midwest both 88 Delivered. Approximately $ 352 million (U.S. $ 28 billion), about both the contract amount of 130 sequentially during the year 2015 - 2018 Is scheduled to be delivered. In addition, public transport and the United States that Caltrans Caltrans is in the specified contract option Both have the right to order additional of about 300 meters as the $ 898 approximately one million (¥ 72 billion), about the amount of minutes all options Become large contracts of approximately 1,250 million U.S. dollars (about 100 billion yen) in the body. This case, the first rail car will be carried out as part of the stimulus that the U.S. government has launched high-speed rail Procurement projects are both American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (Note 1) Funds will be used. Therefore, "100% Buy Into the current production is demanded stringent than in the past called America ". USA vehicle in Japan in July 2012

Center of the city as a new plant, which opened in Rochelle, Illinois, procurement, manufacturing car body, the final assembly and testing
By performing at a railway vehicle manufacturing business structure to perform local consistency, continue to meet the requirements of the contract issue.

On the other hand, in the U.S. Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act of 2008 (Note 2) Because it is based on, to seek to reduce procurement costs Has been promoted to standardize the various specifications of railway vehicles. This case, standard two-storey passenger were prepared based on the law Procurement project is based on the specification of the first semi-procurement based on the same specification is expected to number in the future. Japanese car Based on many years of cooperation, enhance its presence in the U.S. market, and Sumitomo both, further expand business
I aim at large.

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (1 Note) (ARRA)
Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act of 2008 (2 Note) (PRIIA)

5. Timing of revenue recognition
We expected to be the fiscal year ended March 31, 2019 from the year ended March 31, 2016.
There is no impact on the results (ending March 31, 2013) fiscal year.

Route map regions and the introduction of the vehicle is expected to diagram and image of the vehicle: Attachment

"Attachment"
Image of the vehicle [Figure]
- Regions and the introduction of vehicle routes are planned
  by tomj

I found these renderings of the new Bi-level fleet that is going into regional service. I was wondering why the pair seats don't have middle arm rests like the current California fleet cars do now? This seems like a petty thing to complain about, but after two to seven hour trips, it is annoying not having a middle arm rest. I know this is normal on Superliner cars and regional cars in Easter states. I was wondering does any one have the same problem with the current fleet that I have?

http://www.railpac.org/2010/04/26/railc ... pen-house/
  by Tadman

I have no idea why they don't have armrests. The crummiest airlines have armrests, as does Megabus. What gives at Amtrak?
  by 25Hz

One thought is access to emergency egress points (windows). Armrests would likely get in the way/make things worse. Just an idea.
  by tomj

The arm rests on the California fleet fold up. Also most of the windows can be opened in emergency situations. Another thing, why would you jump out of a two story window?
  by hi55us

The amfleets do not and it does not bother me, the acela does and I hardly ever use it... seems like a non-issue
  by lirr42

tomj wrote:Another thing, why would you jump out of a two story window?
To get away from the fire/explosin/toppled rail car/general insanity when something goes badly wrong on a train. Anything considered an emergency. That's why they're emergency exits.
  by Backshophoss

As Amtrak has done with the Amfleet,Superliners,Horizon fleet and Viewliners,the 3 gen Superliners/Surfliners use a seat track mounting
system as is done on airplanes,allows conversion of the cars to/from coach/business class by adding/removing seats as needed
along with adding/removing modules that tie in to the seat tracks
  by jamesinclair

hi55us wrote:The amfleets do not and it does not bother me, the acela does and I hardly ever use it... seems like a non-issue
How is decreasing customer comfort a non issue?

You can skim on many customer amenities. Every apssenegr has a point where they say "enough" and move on to another mode.

The California Cars dont have reclining seats. If I was going from LA to SF, Id rather take the bus because I want to sleep.

Is losing a fare a non-issue?