Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by blockline4180

ryanov wrote:This appears to be the answer to the Amtrak cars question. Though, it's just an internet forum, so apply salt if necessary:
http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1186900

Well yes, it only makes sense not to loan Amtrak MU's since NJT is short of rail cars as it is!! However, the original plan was for NJT to borrow 4, NOT 2 sets of Amfleet cars if the need had arose... Apparently NJT is ok with what they have running now, so it has become a moot point!!
  by sean3f

System Recovery Map & Recovery Info on New Jersey Transit Site;

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet. ... iceId=2304

NJT Site Banner Reports;
All But One NJ TRANSIT Rail Lines Fully or Partially Restored Starting Monday, November 19. Free bus shuttle for Gladstone customers to Summit to connect to: Rail service to NY via Midtown Direct; Rail service to Hoboken; Bus to Liberty State Park ferry to Lower Manhattan. Click for latest info.
Last edited by sean3f on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by lirr42

All current NJT Public Timetables, for future reference: **NOTE-many of these lines are operating on a special schedule WEEKDAYS, check NJTransit.com website before heading out.

(And can we cut the whole the-people-running-NJT's-website-are-all-a-bunch-of-incompetent-fools nonsense, please? We don't need to hear it. Write a letter.)
  by blockline4180

lirr42 wrote: can we cut the whole the-people-running-NJT's-website-are-all-a-bunch-of-incompetent-fools nonsense, please? We don't need to hear it. Write a letter.)
OR... call you your state senator, Congressman or even try the the Gov.
  by GSC

Caught 4217 and three cars eastbound at Allenhurst this morning about 7:25, rolling along at all of 5 mph, with full stop and flagging crossings even if the flashers and gates were working. Caught the same train and crew, moving west, at 1st Ave in Asbury Park about 8:30, slowly moving and flagging as before.

Later, saw 42-something with three cars in Asbury moving eastbound at normal speed.

Nice to see trains running down the lower NJCL again. I missed you guys!

If anyone on this thread was on the 4217's crew, I was the guy in the gray Dodge Sprinter school bus with the skull in the windshield you waved to both times.
  by morris&essex4ever

blockline4180 wrote:
lirr42 wrote: can we cut the whole the-people-running-NJT's-website-are-all-a-bunch-of-incompetent-fools nonsense, please? We don't need to hear it. Write a letter.)
OR... call you your state senator, Congressman or even try the the Gov.
Or call Lautenberg or Menendez......
  by sean3f

“They should have had some contingency — ‘If it were flooded, where we would get other rail cars?’” said Robert “Buzz” Paaswell, director of the City College of New York-based University Transportation Research Center and a former executive director of the Chicago Transit Authority.
So called "experts", ha! Sure, he has an advanced degree in Management and ran the CTA. But I ask you this; Can he remove a PF module & jumper AC1 to AC2 to the negative bus on a GP38-2 SCR assembly?

NOT!

What right does he have to be critical?

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/manual/c420-om.pdf
  by lirr42

Can you remove a PF module & jumper AC1 to AC2 to the negative bus on a GP38-2 SCR assembly?

NOT!

What right do you have to be critical?
  by sean3f

lirr42, you are correct.

Now the "know it all's" at www.nj.com are chiming in. They probably don't even know the output voltage of the auxiliary generator is regulated by opening and closing the power circuit to the generator field. Yet they wrote this;

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/1 ... uipme.html

Pretty much the same info as the Reuters article, lazy reporting. It did have some new info however.
A person described as a "senior transportation official" told Retuers that NJ Transit launched a probe of why the equipment was left in a flood prone area. A spokesman for New Jersey Transit and James Weinstein, the agency's president. said no probe was launched.
  by morris&essex4ever

Is this one of the "know it all's?"
Donald Waltermire
Freakin brilliant - if the idiots at NJT worked at Home Depot or Lowes there wouldn't have been a generator in inventory east of the Rockies. If they worked for the National Weather Service the forecast would have been sunny and temps in the mid 80's. Are these the same people who were in charge of the Schools Construction Corporation? The only job these NJT people are capable of holding would be at one of the numerous and totally corrupt sewerage authorities in northern NJ.
  by ThirdRail7

blockline4180 wrote:
ryanov wrote:This appears to be the answer to the Amtrak cars question. Though, it's just an internet forum, so apply salt if necessary:
http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=1186900

Well yes, it only makes sense not to loan Amtrak MU's since NJT is short of rail cars as it is!! However, the original plan was for NJT to borrow 4, NOT 2 sets of Amfleet cars if the need had arose... Apparently NJT is ok with what they have running now, so it has become a moot point!!
NJT will spare the MUs for Sunday.
  by lensovet

sean3f wrote:
“They should have had some contingency — ‘If it were flooded, where we would get other rail cars?’” said Robert “Buzz” Paaswell, director of the City College of New York-based University Transportation Research Center and a former executive director of the Chicago Transit Authority.
So called "experts", ha! Sure, he has an advanced degree in Management and ran the CTA. But I ask you this; Can he remove a PF module & jumper AC1 to AC2 to the negative bus on a GP38-2 SCR assembly?

NOT!

What right does he have to be critical?

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/manual/c420-om.pdf
i'm sorry, but since when is that kind of knowledge necessary for determining where equipment needs to be? pretty sure that being able to look at flooding forecasts and properly interpret them is way more relevant than knowing how to move around jumpers.
  by lirr42

lensovet wrote:i'm sorry, but since when is that kind of knowledge necessary for determining where equipment needs to be? pretty sure that being able to look at flooding forecasts and properly interpret them is way more relevant than knowing how to move around jumpers.
Operational conditions and circumstance is most likely much more important than that. Any idiot can look at a map and store things in the highest 10 points across the system, but afterwards, your haphazard "whatever doesn't flood" mentality leaves you royally f*#&!d when it comes time to get things going again, and you have 90% of your equipment isolated and cut off because it wasn't staged properly.

Then people would be here crying about that. "How stupid of NJT to put equipment in places that would get cut off during the storm. I want it both ways!"
  by BlockLine_4111

Had NJT spotted key equipment and sets (including the dual modes) west of the Hackensack spans up on the BCL (Curtiss Wright and Passaic Jct) and the ML (Clifton and Ridgewood stations) it would have been the "common sense" and "no-nonsense" course of action. Doing what they did was basically playing russian roulette. As a state taxpayer, NJIT graduate, longtime Hoboken Division 'resident", and LONG TIME railroad.net contributor (off 11+ years) trust me I know what I am talking about here (when I say get the equipment outta there !!!)