Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Jeff Smith

sean3f wrote:We appreciate your input however, the topic of Sandy is broad and has several aspects which warrant separate & distinct threads. Who should be fired and when, sunken rail cars, recovery etc..
Um, what's with this "we" sh!t, Sean? You joined in 2009 and you're not a moderator, nor an administrator. The moderators and admin's make the call, which we have.

I made a call that there's too much overlap in distinct issues. Hell, someone started posting in the ALP45DP delivery and usage thread about damage. Way too many conversations about the same thing.

Backseat moderating is not welcome here. If anyone has issues with any posts, use the report function.
  by Olton Hall

Patrick Boylan wrote:
ccutler wrote:The airlines moved ALL of their airliners out of JFK/LaGuardia.
That's only part of an answer. To where did they move those JFK-Laguardia planes? And where did they move the Newark planes?
And let me expand on my prior list, to where did they move Washington, Philadelphia, Atlantic City, New Haven, Providence, Boston planes?
They didn't actually move them. They stopped flying them in at a certain time so certain aircraft remained at the previous airport and never arrived. All aircraft at the airport left for their scheduled flights. They were spread though US, Europe, and Asia. There was one aircraft left behind at LGA (DL I think) because it had mechanical issues they couldn't fix in time.

Lessons learned on the railroad front and they can now prepare for the future.
  by Sirsonic

I don't want it to get lost in the clutter so I would like to point out that I am still waiting for 25Hz to explain to all of us how a video of an ALP-46 pulling Amfleet cars several years ago proves the locomotives don't need modifications to be used in passenger service with those cars as he asserted several times.
  by pumpers

AAAGGGGH)(#*$#(*)#*()$_$*#)
I thought NEC was back to normal (so NJT says), and I'm trying to plan a trip to NYC this weekend. The NEC weekend/holiday schedules are not to be found on the NJT site!!!!!.
If you go to "schedules and fares", click rail, where it used to bring up pdf's of the schedules for different lines, it brings up a page of the recovery status for all the rail lines, and for NEC it has a link for Weekday schedules only. You would think with the busy holiday weekend coming up, they would have a clue...
The trip planner only has the "Bus" option.
Crazy (and maybe incompetent???), JS
And while we are at it, the red banner link on the top of the homepage about all the restored lines is not working with Internet Explorer 8 (probably the most common browser), although it does work with Google CHrome.
JS
  by ACeInTheHole

gregorygrice wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:I am sure they put some restriction on them from Croton to CP12 as MNCR third rail is higher than LIRR. but im not sure what it was.
I doubt the move, with that many cars, was made at speeds higher than 60/70 for entire trip through New York.
Yeah it seemed like they maintained 60 through Hastings. I was surprised that they didn't sway as much as the current MLVs
You do also have to take into consideration Gregory that an empty brand new MLII will behave quite differently from an older loaded ML1. Lets see these things in service with passengers and then we can say for sure how much they sway.
  by ryanov

lirr42 wrote:
ryanov wrote:More website screwups. At least on the mobile site, it says that the normal schedule will run on the PVL this weekend. However, there does not appear to be a way to get that schedule because the page it would normally be on is blocked by the emergency page and they only have a link to the special Monday schedule. The web team really needs to get it together (eg. Try the site out -- can I get to today and tomorrow's schedule at least? Etc.).
The website does redirect you (not that odd--the MTA's website did that too at the height of the disruptions), but there are other ways around it. You could:
  1. You could use the trip planner box on the homepage, which functions properly at this point
It is bus only.
  by 25Hz

DutchRailnut wrote:everything crawls through empire tunnel, its resticted speed last i knew.
and yes they went that way.
We went like a good 5-7 mph when I rode. Very tight clearance!
  by 25Hz

pumpers wrote:
ryanov wrote:http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0070.pdf
THanks, but how was I supposed to find that? Jim
I posted the link before a few days ago in one of the sandy threads. Not sure if it was here or over at the amtk forum.

Stuff on fast moving threads can get buried.

Are there any other links you want before this too gets put back 5 pages?

NJT has hidden their normal PDF links during this storm disruption to avoid confusion and instead used the central storm info page to list rail, bus, and light rail info & updates.

All of the schedules are available in PDF form for rail & light rail and in the bus section you choose weekday or sat/sun.

It took them a day or 2 but they put it together nicely and the site has not crashed once.
  by BlockLine_4111

There would be fewer issues and faster recovery time if NJT spotted key equipment (including the dual modes) west of the Hackensack spans and up on the BCL (Curtiss Wright and Passaic Jct) and the ML (Clifton and Ridgewood stations). I mentioned this in the other thread.
  by lirr42

Don't Monday morning quarterback and make assumptions without knowing the full picture. I said that in the other threads as well.
  by sean3f

Breaking News... CBS New York Monday Nov 19th

Experts Wonder Why NJ TRANSIT Stored Trains In Flood-Prone Areas

Logic seems to suggest moving belongings to higher ground if the water is rising, but as Superstorm Sandy approached, NJ TRANSIT stored hundreds of train cards in rail yards near sea level. ...those trains were flooded and could be ruined. ...(in Kearny) –... The site at is peak is not even 20 feet above sea level.

Link to the full article ---> http://cbsloc.al/TcHXU1
More arm chair quarterbacking by CBS news this time instead of Reuters. I tweeted this one,

follow me on twitter @sean3f