• BIG decision (BNSF to NS)

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
  by bdj

Ok, I've been with The BNSF in Central Texas for about 14 months now...I'm able to hold the road, all my beenfits have kicked in, things are good. Thing is all of my family is in the northeast. I got an email today from NS telling me I've been invited to interview for Conductor in Cleveland, OH. Talk about a shot out of left field!

I know nothing about NS. I'm paid very, very well here and from the limited amount of research I've done, it seems NS pay is on the lower end of the spectrum. The desire to be closer to my family is strong, but this is a huge decision.

I'll keep this short...can anyone tell me if they've made this switch before? BNSF to NS? Whats the pay comparison? Work enviroment? Do they transfer seniority ( I know thats a long shot)? Are there a lot of road jobs out of Cleveland?

Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
  by Gadfly

For *me* it would be a no-brainer. I would stay PUT! You've got your probation behind you, your benefits have kicked in, and you have an established seniority.
To change railroads now opens up an whole set of uncertainties. You're starting all over again at the bottom. When layoffs come, YOU will be the first to pound sand. At BNSF, when furloughs come, it might get you.......but then there's that "cushion" you've built up that *might* protect you, depending how deep they cut. NS is a very stern, difficult railroad to work for. They *say* they are "changing", but they've been saying that for years. Mr Moorman may have an influence on it, as there have, indeed, been changes for the better, and steps towards a "kinder, gentler" railroad. I will believe it when I see it! :)

Only you can make the decision if being closer to family is that important to you. Are you a gambler? It could be the best thing, but................................
There's always that ???????????????????????????????? Gud luck!

GF

Retired NS
  by Engineer Spike

I know this post is old, but you could bid to Chicago and only be a few hours away. If you are on a yard job or local, you have two days off. If you mark off once in a while just before or after your rest days, then you can have a 3 day weekend.