• Tunnel Clearances Of Donner Pass

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by The S.P. Caboose

There has been some talk on another forum about tunnel clearances to be increased to allow doublestack traffic to travel this line.

Has anyone heard anything about it?

It's been my understanding that doublestack traffic, for the most part, be routed thru the southern part of the country.

by daybyday

SP,

I work in the intermodal industry and haven't heard anything about it, however, I'm not sure that I would unless the it affected UP's routing or pricing in that lane. As it stands right now, the main line splits at Reno and one line goes north throught Portola, Keddie and Oroville, and the other heads south.

After you brought it up, I have noticied that everytime I track my containers, once they hit Reno they go through Portola etc... I've never seen one go on the southern line, unless there is no tracking devices between Reno and Roseville (which is possible.)

As far as the routing on the Northern vs Southern routes, I would have to say it depends on the origin & destination of the shipment. If you're shipping from the East Coast to N. California (Oakland, Fresno etc) they are probably going to interchange in Memphis or Chicago and head over the northern route.

If you're shipping from the East coast headed to the LA basin, again, you'll interchange in Memphis or Chicago and then take the Southern route.

Overall, it might appear (and there probably is) more volume on the southern route, but I would attribute that to the LA and Long Beach ports. I am just specualting here about volume though.

DBD

by The S.P. Caboose

Thanks daybyday. :wink:

Here in the L.A. area, it's kind of hard to tell if it's good information. It's been my opinion, like you say, it's all in the origin and destination of the traffic.

During the time pre-merger, SP did run intermodel traffic over Donner Pass between Oakland and Chicago. I would think that Union Pacific would handle the intermodel traffic the same today.

At the same time, why increase the height of the tunnels for double stacks. I knew BNSF did it over Tehachapi because it"s their only way to my knowledge of getting their traffic in and out of the Bay Area.

Thanks for the information. :-)