Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by M&Eman

Bay Head Local wrote:Should be interesting to see how this works out, glad to see they've managed to somewhat divide the Outter (Morristown Branch)/ and Inner Zone's (Summit & Eastward)
This is a pleasant surprise! This should be how they do the weekend schedule normally.
  by Jtgshu

Matt Johnson wrote:
Jtgshu wrote: That would be more realistic than trucking them out.....And barge? How are they going to get to a barge to be loaded? Minor detail....hahah
Earle Naval pier of course! :) On a serious note, any idea how that pier held up?
As far as I can tell, just fine. There have been several ships out there, so I guess its fine.
  by sixty-six

M&Eman wrote:
Bay Head Local wrote:Should be interesting to see how this works out, glad to see they've managed to somewhat divide the Outter (Morristown Branch)/ and Inner Zone's (Summit & Eastward)
This is a pleasant surprise! This should be how they do the weekend schedule normally.
Normal weekend schedules are contingent on Amtrak slots available.
  by 25Hz

So, it looks like the substation is now the primary focus to get the line back to capacity? Press release from amtrak said it would be several weeks before the situation is resolved......
  by bleet

I woke up this morning to the very surprising and pleasant news that some service had been restored on the M&E although that was pretty quickly followed by notices that there were significant delays. On top of that were the stories that the Lincoln tunnel was closed for an accident and traffic was backed up to Rt 78 and buses were a nightmare. So I was resigned to a terrible experience but opted for the train. Bought my ticket in Summit, walked to the platform and at about 8:30 in pulls a train. (Turns out it was the 8:17.) Wound up getting into NYP at 9:17. A breeze.

Did see the area in Kearny where the washout apparently was -- right as we went through a Newark-bound PATH train came in the opposite direction which is when I discovered that PATH service from Newark to 33rd street had been set up.

Lots of trucks and workers in the substation at Kearny.

Thanks to all the NJT folks who've been busting their butts to get us this far.
  by lensovet

so, this is awesome!
now, check out the "recovery map" for service as of today. what does it say?
no service to summit/morristown
no PATH service to newark
just when i thought they got their act together, nope, not even close.
from that map it's also not really clear whether Bergen line is running and the status of the PJ line either. but i guess it's good that they've colored in the section of the RVL to high bridge…
  by lirr42

lensovet wrote:so, this is awesome!
now, check out the "recovery map" for service as of today. what does it say?
no service to summit/morristown
no PATH service to newark
just when i thought they got their act together, nope, not even close.
from that map it's also not really clear whether Bergen line is running and the status of the PJ line either. but i guess it's good that they've colored in the section of the RVL to high bridge…
I'm not sure what map you're looking at, but this map that is linked to all over the place on NJT's website shows everything colored in clearly and properly................................
  by lensovet

i guess they fixed it. last night they had posted the same map as the one shown on this article: http://theboken.com/hoboken-headlines/p ... ore-weeks/
note that the date still says monday nov 12. and when i say "last night", i mean around 4 am eastern time. i guess someone noticed it this morning and fixed it.
  by lirr42

Well, M&E service was only added late last night. At the time you mentioned (and the time that article was published) there was only the Main/BC/PV Lines/ST and the NEC/RVL lines announced to be running on Monday. They didn't expect M&E service to get up until later in the week, but I guess they surprised us. They didn't "fix it", it was never broken. That map you linked was correct as of last night, but this morning there was more.

NJT is not as bad as some people think...
  by MNCRR9000

Any updates on how repairs are coming along to the MMC and the rail operations center?
  by orangeline

lirr42 wrote:There are more NEC trains beginning tomorrow as well, including peak-period express trains.

New Schedules
NEC Eastbound
NEC Westbound

MidTOWN Direct
Morristown Line

This Friday I'm flying into Newark and see that I can take the train from the EWR airport station to NYP. However, a check of the NJT website shows the NEC schedule as weekday. Does anyone know if the NEC from NYP to EWR is running on Sunday and what that schedule is?
  by lirr42

orangeline wrote:This Friday I'm flying into Newark and see that I can take the train from the EWR airport station to NYP. However, a check of the NJT website shows the NEC schedule as weekday. Does anyone know if the NEC from NYP to EWR is running on Sunday and what that schedule is?
There is a 99% chance that trains will running between those two points on Sunday. It'll likely be a near-normal weekend schedule (along these lines) but the exact schedule is a surprise (check NJT's website Friday evening for the final confirmation)
  by orangeline

Thanks lirr42!
  by freemenot

I noticed at Morristown station I don't see any of the signals lit up. How are the trains operating?