Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Patrick A.

Is there any expectation of further damage to the system as a result of the storm approaching the area?
  by gregorygrice

Patrick A. wrote:Is there any expectation of further damage to the system as a result of the storm approaching the area?
Metro North should be fine with this one. Just mostly snow and rain, which MNR is used too.
  by lirr42

@MetroNorthTweet wrote:Due to the winter weather conditions, trains are operating at reduced speeds and customers should anticipate scattered delays
  by Travelsonic

gregorygrice wrote:
Patrick A. wrote:Is there any expectation of further damage to the system as a result of the storm approaching the area?
Metro North should be fine with this one. Just mostly snow and rain, which MNR is used too.
Looks like mostly snow - forget the rain... hope the trains are operating as safely as possible, I know DRIVING is out of the question in many areas [took me 2 hr to get home from Westchester Community College, which usually takes about 15 minutes... a 700% increase in time :P] - my girlfriend is stuck on a bus heading to White Plains, haven't gotten off campus yet from the accidents / congestion / etc.
Last edited by Travelsonic on Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by lirr42

gregorygrice wrote:
At least one MTA railroad can manage to get trains to move in the snow.........................
  by FL9AC

Many delays system-wide but trains continue to operate everywhere except New Canaan Branch still. You're supposed to reduce speed?...I didn't do less than track speed tonight with the eception of a few stop and warns on the branch ;)
  by Jeff Smith

Noreaster damage: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/ar ... 021778.php
The winds and snow from the nor'easter knocked trees down onto the south signal wire east and west of the Cos Cob station and blew fiberglass insulating rods on the Norwalk River moveable bridge, Anders said.

The rods were originally cleaned and repaired after shorting out from saltwater spray during Hurricane Sandy in hopes they would work until replacements could be installed.

Read more: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/ar ... z2BjlUyVYC