• New Employee - Division Question

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by njt1030

I am going to begin my letp class this month. I know about the seniority picking a number and than you pick your divison. However, I always like to know the worst case scenario. I already know atleast 6 people in my class want Newark and 1 wants Hoboken. I really need Newark as they are all close. Hoboken stations are 1.5 hrs - 2.5 hrs away each way. Working an 8 hour day plus driving time would really ruin the career. I know once you learn one you can start learning the other on your own time, but the question is - If I am a Hoboken division employee, and I pick up a Morrisville job, once someone with more seniority kicks me out and I than forced to go back to Hoboken jobs?

I am not looking to move, and I really need to know how I can work Newark division if I get stuck with Hoboken.
  by Notch 8

You will qualify and post on the division your seniority and the split allows. Once you are promoted, you may see a Road Foreman for a head end pass to qualify on territory during your relief days, optional day, and or vacation. Your seniority will allow you to hold an assignment no matter what division you are on. Getting bumped off a job means that you find another one that you are qualified for to go to. A few guys bounce between Newark and Hoboken quite a bit. Don't expect to hold much more than New York on the Newark Division for a while. And you must be qualified on an entire division to work an extra list.

Do not put the cart before the horse. Pass the program before thinking about divisions. Right now the average is a tick less than 50% that start actually make it through.
  by Jtgshu

What Notch said X 1000000

There are plenty of folks who live WAY far way from the Hoboken division for example, got "stuck" with it, and love it, and don't want to learn the Newark Side to work on it. Someone in my class lives down by Mount Laurel, and I thought I saw him awarded a Suffern job over the past few weeks.

Don't worry about the division and which side you might or might not get. There are LOTS more things to worry about inbetween now and then.....and with less than 50% getting through, that might not even end up being a concern.

Just study and focus on whats next....don't worry about whats down the road.
  by njt1030

The only reason I asked about the division situation is because I would really dislike driving 2 hours to work, work 8-X hours, than drive 2 back. I cant understand how anyone would enjoy that.

How are the tests in the LETP ( multiple choice, fill in the blank, etc) ?

Any suggestions on passing the class besides dont fall behind?

Thats a really poor passing rate, not much to look forward to.

Thanks for the input so far
  by njt1030

Forgot to add to last post -
If I qualify all of Newark on my own time and get onto Newarks Extra list, can Hoboken still call me for their list or am I only one at a time?
  by Steve F45

this is just for my own curiousity, but how does one get the yard jobs in hoboken? For example if mechanical needs a loco pulled into that shop along observer?
  by Jtgshu

Steve F45 wrote:this is just for my own curiousity, but how does one get the yard jobs in hoboken? For example if mechanical needs a loco pulled into that shop along observer?
One word....seniority

If you have enough seniority that no one with more time than you wants that particular assignment, be it passenger or a yard/relay job, its yours!
  by njt1030

Notch 8 -
If an employee is hoboken, and they qualify all of Newark and got on the Newark extra list like you stated, Can hoboken call that employee still or can you only be on one list at a time.
  by njt1030

Notch 8 - Once an employee is qualified on the other division completely and goes on that extra list, can the other division you were assigned to still call you? I guess the question is can you be on both extra lists at the same time?
  by Notch 8

No. You pick a spot and work it. There is a very specific order of call that must be followed by the crew dispatchers. For example a Raritan job is called from the NY list. If there is not a body available then a Morrisville man is called, then to the Long Branch list then AC. In only very rare instances does someone get called to cover another division. At this point, there are so many guys on the lists, that staying on home turf is the norm and getting dead head to another terminal is a treat.

But seriously, you have to get through class and everything else first. I would not even be worrying about divisions in 1a.
  by lirr42

Are MidTOWN Direct trains operated by Hoboken Division or Newark Division crews?
  by morris&essex4ever

lirr42 wrote:Are MidTOWN Direct trains operated by Hoboken Division or Newark Division crews?
Hoboken division.
  by Grump

njt1030 wrote:The only reason I asked about the division situation is because I would really dislike driving 2 hours to work, work 8-X hours, than drive 2 back. I cant understand how anyone would enjoy that.
LOL, welcome to the railroad.

Like everyone else said, divisions and lines are a long time away and the least of your worries.
  by njt1030

Thank you for everyones input.
Anyone know a good website to practice Color signals?

Already have my flashcards but I would like to practice them in a different way also.
  by Jtgshu

njt1030 wrote:Thank you for everyones input.
Anyone know a good website to practice Color signals?

Already have my flashcards but I would like to practice them in a different way also.
Google "norac signal test"

You don't need the full (all) the NORAC signals, as on NJT we aren't exposed to all the signals that are in the NORAC book. Check out the second link. But there are some great links and info on his main website.