Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

by Alek9997

Bit of a yes/no question, but were any of the ex-NYC RS-3's still in the 1950's lightning stripe scheme at the beginning of the PC era? All the photos I have seen of the RS-3's in the late NYC era were in the cigar band scheme, but I was wondering if maybe at least one made it into PC still in lightning stripe.

Thanks
  by bill8106

I asked this question a few years ago in a broader sense (did ANY unit make it to PC still in lightning stripes) and unfortunately, it looks like the answer is no.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 95&t=30987

If you trust the captions in books and on websites, I've seen pictures of geeps, E and F units still in lightning stripes as late as 1966, but not any RS-3s.
  by Noel Weaver

In as much as the New York Central was repainting the RS-3's into the simplified black scheme way back in the late 1950's I would think by the time of Penn Central ten plus years later that all of the ones in service had been repainted.
Noel Weaver
  by theastralcity

I've seen evidence that some of the NYC electrics made it to PC with their stripes. Pictures of several T-Motors in stripes are dated until at least 1969. Sadly, I haven't been able to find any diesels that did. That's not to say though that one can't do it on a model railroad for sure. I've got an ex-NYC E8 in stripes on mine set in 1970. Why? Because I like it.
  by Backshophoss

All the RS-3's that worked the Harlem line were basic black dip around the PC merger,a few years after the New Haven "shotgun"
merger, RS-3's and GP-18's used on the Harlem/Hudson lines were swapped for FL-9's in a mixed bag of NH colors(patched) and PC black dip.