• Any long distance railfan excursions in PA/NJ 2011?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by rwk

Conrail Historical Society said that there will be an excursion with the PRR E's next year departing from Philadelphia and using rare mileage. Also, Norfolk Southern plans more steam excursions next year for the public, who knows where they'll run. And, Reading and Northern's 425 is supposed to make a return next year. That's all the news I have so far on long distance rail excursions in the eastern US and PA for next year. I was actually thinking about going on that New Hope to Ivyland steam trip last month, it was cancelled? I wanted to go on the Lansdale special Aug 25 but didn't. I missed the West Chester Lansdale special, too. I wound up going to Phillipsburg, NJ and riding behind the 142 again for the first time in several years on Labor Day weekend. Nice ride, but not the same as a mainline NS steam excursion or something. At least the coaches have open windows, the new excursions on NS use mostly air conditioned streamline coaches with sealed windows because they have roller bearing trucks, older open window coaches mostly have friction bearing trucks, which NS and other class 1's dislike. They were slowing and stopping for the crossings because the train hit a car the previous weekend. And that awful squeaky Chinese whistle, and they blow it soft at some spots probably out of respect for the neighbors.