• Penn Station at 3 AM?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by joshuahouse

Thank you all for the information. As much as I love diner food, especially at 3 AM, I wasn't really interested in leaving the station itself. That's not a bad thought Mr. Norman, and will have a look at it. As it is this trip has to be rethought, the funeral I thought would be in Rhode Island turns out to be in New Hampshire.
  by 25Hz

Personal security concerns? Guys, i used to spend all night out in manhattan over the years. The only thing that ever happened worth remembering is a garbage truck backed into a parked car when it was covered in snow making the alarm go off. The place at street level is a ghost town at night with cops driving by every few minutes. Most people use the subway to get around because it has climate controlled cars, so you don't see them.

This is midtown manhattan, not downtown camden or detroit.
  by Gilbert B Norman

25Hz wrote:This is Midtown Manhattan, not Downtown Camden or Detroit.
Off topic; I'll take a pass regarding any comments on Camden, but Downtown Detroit I think is making a comeback. I was there this past Friday . True Downtown resembles the city (Melbourne Aus I think) shown in the movie "On The Beach" and driving to the hotel (Westin Book Cadillac) at near rush hour was like driving in the Chicago Loop at 7AM Sunday morning. But once there I met at the hotel's restaurant "happy hour" several young people, college graduates and employed professionals, who moved TO Detroit to be part of the city's and auto industry's revival (what I drive kept "on the QT"). Detroit even hopes to develop a "silicon alley" and to expand upon its artistic community (maybe the Detroit Symphony has a chance after all; one of the young people I met is on their Board; she heartilly thanked me for coming out to support her orchestra) - and with these intelligent and vibrant young people that chose to share their time with me, I'd dare say a revitalized city (it will never be pop 2.5M again) could be on the way.

But notwithstanding the immediate comments, the derelict that once was Michigan Central Station, which I saw in the distance from I-75, should be chopped down - sooner the better.
  by chuchubob

Gilbert B Norman wrote:...the derelict that once was Michigan Central Station, which I saw in the distance from I-75, should be chopped down - sooner the better.
Central Terminal
  by gprimr1

IMO Personal security is always a concern to me regardless of where I am.

I've done the 3am train out of NYP once. It wasn't to bad, I stayed in the waiting area and went online. The only thing I hate is that the waiting area has no dedicated bathroom and Amtrak police are going after people who use outlets on the Amtrak concourse.

I also walked from Forest Hills to Rego Park in Queens at 4am and it was uneventful. Watching the sun rise in Jamaica Queens was fun though.
  by 25Hz

Thanks for those photos Bob! I've seen it from the maple leaf and WOW is it a huge complex!

I guess I being a NYC tour guide and having spent many an hour there futzing around manhattan in the wee AM hours my comfort level is a bit different than some. The lack of vehicles on the streets makes it a LOT quieter too.
  by Ridgefielder

25Hz wrote:Personal security concerns? Guys, i used to spend all night out in manhattan over the years. The only thing that ever happened worth remembering is a garbage truck backed into a parked car when it was covered in snow making the alarm go off. The place at street level is a ghost town at night with cops driving by every few minutes. Most people use the subway to get around because it has climate controlled cars, so you don't see them.

This is midtown manhattan, not downtown camden or detroit.
I'd be more worried about belligerent drunks heading home for NJ or Long Island via Penn after the bars close down at 4 a.m. than anything else. And that's a pretty minor worry. Remember, post-9/11 Midtown is one of the most heavily-patrolled places outside the Green Zone.
  by Patrick Boylan

Gilbert B Norman wrote: I also recognize and respect that $300/ni and up for a Manhattan hotel room could well be a "turn off".

How would this sound for an alternate itinerary; WRY-177(I)-STM-141(II)-NYP-281(II)-ROC. At Stamford, within a walk, there are many a major brand @ about $225/ni; there are also, to the West of the station and still within a walk several "econobrands" that I would guess @ $125/ni. Possibly you could better those rates through a web auction or consolidator site.
http://travela.priceline.com/hotel/newH ... Y&noWait=Y
says Hilton, half mile from Stamford station is $87. That's the pick your hotel option, I usually increment bids every 24 hours, the name your own price option where they pick the hotel, starting at about half the advertised price. Their Greenwich-Stamford neighborhood looks like it's 2 miles long and 1/4 to 1 mile wide, and I'm guessing the station's a bit to the right of the center of priceline's Stamford blob.
Gilbert, do you know of other TRUSTWORTHY web auction hotel sites besides priceline?

In my youth, I think in the late 1980's, there was a time the Maple Leaf left NYP before the first train from the south, so I made joshuahouse's trip the other way, PHL-NYP, and wandered Manhatten. I survived, anxiously, but did not encounter anything that posed a real danger. The only specific places I remember going were Grand Central, waiting outside for about a half hour, Roosevelt Island tramway, and breakfast at a Roosevelt Island diner. So I must have walked a bunch of blocks, with luggage, 1-5am.
The worst that ever happened to me in Manhatten EVER in fact was in busy daytime hours, when I was even more of a youth, high school, around 15 years old. I was raifan windowing, somebody came next to me, started chatting about trains, got off with me at the transfer station between the A train and the 1, continued to act convincingly as a fellow friendly foamer. Then when we platformed ourselves where I thought was a reasonable place to expect the train's front door, he pulled a knife and demanded my money, which of course I gave. The platform was chock full of people, but our spot was right between 2 pillars, and I snap judged that losing $10-$20, a lot of money in the 1970's, was better than what little satisfaction I would have gotten listening beyond the grave to half a dozen blind deaf mute New Yorkers testify at his trial that they saw him stab me.
Gilbert B Norman wrote:
25Hz wrote:This is Midtown Manhattan, not Downtown Camden or Detroit.
chuchubob wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:...the derelict that once was Michigan Central Station, which I saw in the distance from I-75, should be chopped down - sooner the better.
Central Terminal
25Hz wrote:Thanks for those photos Bob! I've seen it from the maple leaf and WOW is it a huge complex!
Bob, I was set to complain that 25Hz mixed up Detroit's Michigan Central station with Buffalo's Central Station, then took another look at your links. The only way I can see for you to save face is to give us some Detroit photos, although I also thank you for those excellent Buffalo station photos.
  by 3rdrail

Patrick Boylan wrote: The platform was chock full of people, but our spot was right between 2 pillars, and I snap judged that losing $10-$20, a lot of money in the 1970's, was better than what little satisfaction I would have gotten listening beyond the grave to half a dozen blind deaf mute New Yorkers testify at his trial that they saw him stab me.
I never second guess legitimate action decided upon another party in a split second, which this most likely was, so I will not break my rule here. I will however, give you a glimpse into my thoughts regarding the matter as it pertains to me.

Understand please, that I am very serious about the advice to "carry a blade" as I am with the above dictate. The blade thing is a habit that I have developed over time. I have a well-worn Jaguar always clipped into my pocket. It's a "back-up" for those times that I might forget my real back-up protection, and that's my pistola. My pistola is not a "ladies Derenger". It's going to make a large hole, to put it bluntly. We as a society have developed into a wasteland of violent chaos. You may be picking daisies by the roadside and be killed for the ten cents in your pocket. You may be at the movies and have a deranged gunman start randomly shooting. You may be a college student out for a walk, abducted by a ritualistic gang of sadistic murderers. You may be at a remote location railfanning and catch the eye of a serial rapist/murderer. I think that you get my point. I've stood over too many dead bodies who were lying there because they had been passive. Most of the ones that fought spoke to me. Maybe a little banged up or bloody, but they spoke to me.
  by Tadman

This may be a bit touchy regarding Paul's comments above. That said, if you choose to carry a weapon - GET SOME TRAINING. Guns are dangerous when you are careless or sloppy, and training seriously reduces such mishaps. It's just like with cars - you're a much better driver after a year with a parent and driving school.
  by lirr42

Hoboken is making quite the combeack across the river. It's just a $2.25 PATH trip from a block away and it puts you right in the middle of Hoboken. I can't say what's going on there at night (or possible lack thereof) but I hear there is quite the nightlife there.
  by 25Hz

3rdrail wrote:
Patrick Boylan wrote: The platform was chock full of people, but our spot was right between 2 pillars, and I snap judged that losing $10-$20, a lot of money in the 1970's, was better than what little satisfaction I would have gotten listening beyond the grave to half a dozen blind deaf mute New Yorkers testify at his trial that they saw him stab me.
I never second guess legitimate action decided upon another party in a split second, which this most likely was, so I will not break my rule here. I will however, give you a glimpse into my thoughts regarding the matter as it pertains to me.

Understand please, that I am very serious about the advice to "carry a blade" as I am with the above dictate. The blade thing is a habit that I have developed over time. I have a well-worn Jaguar always clipped into my pocket. It's a "back-up" for those times that I might forget my real back-up protection, and that's my pistola. My pistola is not a "ladies Derenger". It's going to make a large hole, to put it bluntly. We as a society have developed into a wasteland of violent chaos. You may be picking daisies by the roadside and be killed for the ten cents in your pocket. You may be at the movies and have a deranged gunman start randomly shooting. You may be a college student out for a walk, abducted by a ritualistic gang of sadistic murderers. You may be at a remote location railfanning and catch the eye of a serial rapist/murderer. I think that you get my point. I've stood over too many dead bodies who were lying there because they had been passive. Most of the ones that fought spoke to me. Maybe a little banged up or bloody, but they spoke to me.
I always carry my victorinox rescue tool everywhere. In PA you have to have knives in holsters or clipped on in view. In NYC it's the oposite. Gotta clip it backwards or pop it in a pocket.
  by 25Hz

lirr42 wrote:Hoboken is making quite the combeack across the river. It's just a $2.25 PATH trip from a block away and it puts you right in the middle of Hoboken. I can't say what's going on there at night (or possible lack thereof) but I hear there is quite the nightlife there.
Jeeze, $2.25!

Yea, Hoboken and eastern chunk of jersey city by the river is really a social hot spot at night. Helps that cops are all over, and everything tends to be lit up. There are mid and high end eateries all over Hoboken and the pavonia/Newport area of JC.

It's amazing what a few condo and office towers can do to such a former wasteland where the rail yards were.
  by Hawaiitiki

Scores fine dining on West 27th Street isn't too bad of a walk from Penn Station. I can assure you it will hopping at 3 am, but while inside you might get robbed worse than you will on the street, but at least you'll get robbed with a smile. ;)
  by lirr42

25Hz wrote:...Jeeze, $2.25!...
The fare went up a quarter yesterday. It is kinda pricey (but for comparison HBLR is $2.10, $5 for NYP-NWK, $5 HOB-NWK (via SEC) or $2.25 HOB-NWK (via Waterfront)