• Elmira, NY train station

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by alsorailfan

Noticed in the 1978 photo shows asphalt paving on the streetcar ROW while today's photo shows bricks.
Did they pave over the bricks and later removed it or added back bricks (older pictures shows the brick pavement) after removing rails or ??

Chris
  by Otto Vondrak

alsorailfan wrote:Noticed in the 1978 photo shows asphalt paving on the streetcar ROW while today's photo shows bricks. Did they pave over the bricks and later removed it or added back bricks (older pictures shows the brick pavement) after removing rails or ??
I noticed that, too! Perhaps the owner had the asphalt removed to expose the bricks on purpose... The bricked street did seem to be in good condition. Perhaps the owners have a sense of history after all.

-otto-
  by Missyg24

there is only a few brick streets left in elmira. one is on railroad ave & w 3rd st. Hilliard owns the station & the lot next to it used as employee parking lot. railroad ave to 2nd st is paved.
  by Missyg24

i seen the station friday its used for storage now. with windows!!!! looks eery inside from the outside
  by Otto Vondrak

Missyg24 wrote:i seen the station friday its used for storage now. with windows!!!! looks eery inside from the outside
You mean the covered windows I photographed back in September have been opened up?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ottomatic77/7994536442

-otto-