• New Power (C39-8s, SD40-2s, etc)

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

by KSmitty

atsf sp wrote:I didnt see the units in Palmer or ED today.
Apparently I read a bad report. Theres a picture of them with a CSX dash8 4 axle at Selkirk taken today. Sorry about that.
  by Dick H

The C-39s were reported to be in White River Jct. VT at noontime today...
  by atsf sp

Well that explains it.
  by mkittredge

The 3 old GE's went north yesterday on the Washington County. Saw them in St. Johnsbury, Vt. at 5:45 P.M.
  by PEIR

Were these units formerly painted grey and used in Conrail's Ballast Express service?
  by MEC407

Nope.

If I recall correctly, the Ballast Express units were C32-8s, not C39-8s. They do look very similar (both models have the round cab roof and "humpback" appearance), but the C39-8s have eight power assembly access doors per side, while the C32-8s have six per side.
  by mkittredge

Can anybody tell me where the 3 old GE's are now? Are they in the shop at Derby? Thanks.
  by MEC407

by mkittredge

Thanks for the update and the great picture.
  by MEC407

8208 is in service, and looking quite intimidating in all-black: http://steelribbon.smugmug.com/Other/C3 ... B&lb=1&s=A
  by fogg1703

Any word on 8207? Parts donor or possibly being readied for service? Are these monsters compatible partswise with the existing GE fleet or are they truly oddballs?
  by MEC407

I don't think they're any more or less compatible than, for instance, the B23-7s and the B39-8Es. Certainly there are some differences, but nothing insurmountable. I reckon the C39s have more in common with the Dash 7s and Dash 8s than the GP7s have in common with the SD40-2s.
  by KSmitty

C39-8, B39-8 same thing only difference is axle count and trucks. They are essentially the same machine. Parts compatibility should be damn near 100%. The B23's are older, and different in many ways, electrics mostly, but share several mechanical parts...
  by nhmma

Is there any word (or pictures) on the SD40-2's?