• Iron Horse Park (North Billerica)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by newpylong

Why are you asking me? I'm not the T... I am just relaying what I have heard from my connections at MBCR, who heard from someone else, etc and so on. I think the idea is ridiculous myself and never happen. I agree, the place should be knocked down and become a transload facility / normal yard. Traffic has already increased three fold there in the past year.

I have also heard UPS is looking at using Iron Horse park due to it's proximity to the mainline and the available real estate. The same source also says they may look at rebuilding the yard just south of BY (on the north side of the NH main) in Lowell. Believe that one when I see it.

I think it's safe to say with business increasing South of 495 and even 128 now Lawrence is not going to work long term as a place to yard and crew locals. BIllerica wouldn't be that bad, it's almost halfing the distance from Lawrence to Boston. They do need something closer to Boston... where that ends up being, who knows.
  by B&M 1227

I take it your sources are from within PAR. With the attention they're giving to shippers, I wouldn't be surprised if they reopened the yard south of Bleachery. An MBCR employee once told me that Montvale had been considered as a base for Boston traffic, but seeing as they're planning on using two of the three tracks for Tighe I'm guessing that will never happen. It is exciting to see a resurgence of freight within the 495 belt. With CSX pulling out of Boston, I'm wondering if PAR could maybe pick up on that. It's doubtful CSX would give up their Chelsea service, but maybe PAR could make them an offer they couldn't refuse. Also with Beacon Park closing, that would also signify a more costly transload op for Newlyweds. Whatever the case, it will be interesting to see what happens in the metro-Boston area in the coming years.
  by CN9634

CSX and PAR have talked prior (A few months so) about taking the CSX operations in Boston and giving it to PAR then shipping it via the Worcester corridor. Stand by.
  by newpylong

From what I have heard CSX will not be giving up local business when Beacon closes but basing it from further West. Framingham? Worcester? No idea which or if this is even true. I guess only time will tell.

CN, I definitely can see PAR getting switching rights if CSXT decides they want nothing to do with the place and then handing the traffic off to PAR somewhere. Let us know what you find out.

Re: Montvale, you make a good point - I will have to check tomorrow on my way to work more closely but I know last week there was tie equipment on the 2 track in the yard and they had replaced ties. I am not 100% sure but I also could have sworn the 1/2 track switch (closest to the main) was cleaned out - so maybe they will be using all 3 soon.
  by B&M 1227

IIRC, they removed the frog from the 1/2 switch and put a piece of stick rail in its place. Maybe they plan on putting it back in service, but I would imagine they'd have had enough foresight to leave it in place when they rebuilt the yard a few months ago. I've heard the GLX is supposed to take out the Willey Track. It's too bad PAR can't piggyback a new freight yard onto the GLX project. Oh how I'd love to see locals based out of Boston again. BTW, we have a Salem tracker and this thread, but with PAR's new mindset, maybe it's time for a Metro area thread?
  by newpylong

I wouldn't say they rebuilt the yard a little while ago - I would say they did enough to be able to spot cars on Track 3 - but I think you're right regarding the frog being gone. That is easily enough remedied if they want to.

The GLX option that would remove the Wiley also would remove the B&A East/West, 3rd and 4th Irons - it will never fly and is the least preferred option from what I have seen.
  by B&M 1227

Looking far into the future, if CSX were to sign an operating agreement with PAR, the 3rd/4th iron of the GJ would probably be unnecessary. This combined with the "plan" to run some Worcester service into North Station via the GJ which would necessitate rebuilding the trackage where the GJ crosses the fitch, could make the 3rd/4th iron redundant. I don't know whether or not this trackage would be part of the ethanol route, but if not it seems like they could get away with removing that trackage providing they build a new connection/yard somewhere. What about the trackage serving Boston Paperboard. I know right now parts of it have cars stored, but if they removed the stored equipment, I believe they could move trains from the Lowell Line to the Western/Eastern Routes. Or I could be wrong. I'm not all that well versed in trackage around BET.
  by newpylong

You are correct, they could move a train from the Lowell Line to the Western or Eastern via Yard 10 (where Boston Paperboard is) with some track work. There is a wye at the east end which could facilitate a move either to north or south to BET. But, the Ethanol is coming via the Fitchburg and could not get to Revere if the tracks behind BET were removed though. With more and more traffic coming online Pan Am will not sell / allow their operations (they still own a lot of the land the T needs) to be crippled by the Green Line though so I don't foresee the Wiley going away.
  by B&M 1227

From my window on 309, MOW crews are working around the 2/3 switch. They've also put the frog back in place for the 1/2 switch and appear to be clearing the yard of brush.
  by newpylong

Nice, standing room only for me this morning on 208 so I couldn't get a look. Sounds like they plan on using them all...
  by B&M 1227

I imagine it would be useful to have the 1 track for cars when theres not enough room to spot them on the 2 and 3. I would say this will probably prevent Montvale from ever being a "yard" in the traditional sense. Bleachery would make a lot of sense seeing as most yards in the commuter zone have been obliterated. It's too bad most of West Cambridge is gone as that wouldnt be a terrible place to stage a local.
  by Garrett

B&M 1227 wrote:I take it your sources are from within PAR. With the attention they're giving to shippers, I wouldn't be surprised if they reopened the yard south of Bleachery. An MBCR employee once told me that Montvale had been considered as a base for Boston traffic, but seeing as they're planning on using two of the three tracks for Tighe I'm guessing that will never happen. It is exciting to see a resurgence of freight within the 495 belt. With CSX pulling out of Boston, I'm wondering if PAR could maybe pick up on that. It's doubtful CSX would give up their Chelsea service, but maybe PAR could make them an offer they couldn't refuse. Also with Beacon Park closing, that would also signify a more costly transload op for Newlyweds. Whatever the case, it will be interesting to see what happens in the metro-Boston area in the coming years.
Where is Bleachery?
  by newpylong

It was a yard east of CPFBY in Lowell, inbetween where the NH Division and Lowell Branch split. Many tracks still in the bushes.

There is also a much larger yard on both sides of the NH Division in South Lowell just east of the Bleachery, I actually don't kn ow the name of that yard.
  by GP40MC1118

The overgrown yard south of Lunenberg (?) Street overhead bridge and the Concord River off
the No.2 Track was called the New Yard. The lead that took it up to CPF-BY or Bleachery was
called the Fairgrounds.

Bleachery Yard is all the yard trackage from South Lowell (No.1 Track) to Gorham Street/CPF-BY.
When it was active, the switchers accessed the north end two ways: Calling for the Bleachery
or the Lead.

The small pocket yard across from Lowell Tower was called the turnout...

D
  by newpylong

Thanks Dave.