• New CSX power in NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by roadster

Today, while my conductor walked our train to verify a car count discrepency. we were passed by Q366 with CSX 3029 in the consist. Brand spanky new ES44AH. latter, around 3pm, I saw the unit in the Selkirk Service Center. First of the 3000 number series I've seen. Didn't even know they were receiving a group of new loco's from GE.
  by Matt Langworthy

roadster wrote:Today, while my conductor walked our train to verify a car count discrepency. we were passed by Q366 with CSX 3029 in the consist. Brand spanky new ES44AH. latter, around 3pm, I saw the unit in the Selkirk Service Center. First of the 3000 number series I've seen. Didn't even know they were receiving a group of new loco's from GE.
I've read a little bit about the new 3000 series CSX units over at railfan.net but I didn't know they were arriving here in upstate NY.
  by scottychaos

Didnt find a photo of 3029 specifically, but here are some sister units..
they are sporting the new logo:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 861&nseq=2

Are these any different than the older 700, 800 and 900 series ES44AH's?
or just the latest order of this type of locomotive?
why did they get a different number series from the previous set?

Scot
  by Leo_Ames

Can't find any cab closeups anywhere to read what their designation is, but perhaps they're standard ES44AC's instead of ES44AH's with the extra ballast and other features for increased traction effort?

Barring a few open numbers due to wreck retirements, everything is full below 700. And all the yard power is in the low 1000's so to continue past 999 would've involved renumbering their slugs right now and eventually all of their yard power that extends into the 1600's in scattered groups.
  by Alek9997

Attached is a shot of #3029 and #3034 in Little Falls, NY...Taken about two weeks ago. This was their first run East from Erie, PA.

Alek S
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by scharnhorst

I got 989 with the new Logo in this video its the 2ed unit in a train that is departing the yard its hard to catch the number with the East bound in the way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ2-fgyhefM
  by N_DL640A

The new tier 3 ES44AH units are filling the 3000 series. This order covers #3000 to #3059.
  by MP366

It appears CSX is remaining consistent in that the GE's on the fleet are/were in the 0-999, 3000-3999, 5000-5999, 7000-7999 and the EMDs fill in the gaps, except for the F40's....
  by lvrr325

Tier 3, so 3000 series numbers. Although probably just a coincedence.
  by ScotCP356

I caught 973 a week ago on a eastbound intermodal train @ MP356, it was the third unit of the three locomotives who led a very short intermodal train.
  by ckwwestshore

They're pretty common now...one can sit for a day and be guaranteed a few of them.
  by scharnhorst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVrP0FvOifM

3ed unit in the train has new CSX Box car logo seen this one on Saturday July 28th west bound
  by pswag115

They are slightly diff from the older units, angle cocks are on the conductor side for one, PTC screens at both conductor & engineers stations.
  by Alek9997

Yeah, they are VERY common on the Chicago Line now. Usually when I see them they are on the Westbound Intermodal rush of trains from the New Jersey ports every morning.

When we were in Utica on Saturday waiting to depart on the Adirondack Scenic Railroad, it seemed every train had at least one.

Alek S