Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Morisot

A few minutes before this photo was taken this couple was told (nicely) that the train going through in a few minutes doesn't stop and would be doing about 80 mph.

by lirr42

Yikes...

What station is that?
  by Head-end View

North side platform at Westbury Station.
  by Backshophoss

What was the final result?? Hopefully not messy!
  by joetrain59

I have video of some idiot doing similar antics at Carle Place. Then he jumps on tracks, stands on bridge girder over Cherry lane!. All the while taking pix of himself with cell phone. It was a Sunday, so not busy. Did he know that. Stupidity never ceases to amaze me.
Joe D
  by workextra

What would their lawyer say had they gotten hit???
  by Doc Emmet Brown

In the early 90's I was working a round trip to Montauk. As we pulled into Mastic Shirley going east, I heard the Engineer lean on the horn, and dump the train. I fugured we hit someone and jumped off ( old equipment), and walked up to the Engine. The Engineer was arguing with a homeless looking guy. I believe the Engineer was Larry B.
Seems the guy was sitting on the edge of the platform just like in the picture above. Only difference was it was still the old low platforms. Does not matter much, wheels and stairs on the old stuff will do just as much damage.
The homeless guy took an attitude with both of us, I decided to stay up on the Engine for a few stops, since it was summertime and we were going block to block with Extra Montauk Trains running.
Besides, the Engineer was a bit shook up by the near miss, so i figured Id talk to him to take his mind off it.
Last thing I said to the guy was, you are Lucky you did not get your legs cut off.
We got to westhampton, and we heard the train behind us calling for medical assistance, seems they hit a guy sittting on the platform at mastic shirley, and cut his legs off.
Talked to the Conductor later, was probably the same guy by the description he gave us.
By the way the guy survived but lost his legs.
  by Morisot

workextra, that is exactly why I took the photo---I could hear the lawyer and the media bashing the railroad!

Luckily, an eastbound express thundered through first. The young woman jumped up and moved back against the railing. The fellow only moved back about a foot!-- sitting cross-legged, reading, and listening to music with heavy-duty headphones on!!! (I had to tap him on the shoulder to get him to look up and see the train as it barrelled up to School Street. He scrambled backward and actually thanked me after it went through.)
  by LIRR 7016

They should arrest people for doing that. It's downright dangerous.

G
  by DutchRailnut

you can't fix stupid, and if train hits them, crew gets 3 days stress vacation ;-)
  by hrfcarl

Do they still do the Darwin Awards? Looks like a pretty good candidate...
  by awtprod

Funny. I took this picture last night during the RVC fireworks. The row of people in the front were all sitting with their legs hanging off the platform. A few minutes later, an eastbound pulled in. Luckily it was stopping and not moving very fast.
  by ExCon90

workextra wrote:What would their lawyer say had they gotten hit???
He might say that the railroad did carelessly and negligently fail to post signs warning against sitting with legs overhanging the edge of the platform and the conductor [sic] did carelessly and negligently fail to stop the train when he saw the individuals sitting on the platform.
  by LongIslandTool

They see the train coming and they move...

They've been doing this since 1839.
  by keyboardkat

Sort of like the dimbulb who bought a new motorhome, decided he wanted a cup of coffee while driving, so set the thing on cruise control, left the driver's seat and went to the back to make himself a cup of coffee. The motorhome went off the road and smashed into a tree.

The guy's lawyer argued that the manufacturer should have put a sign on the instrument panel warning the driver not to leave the driver's seat while the vehicle was in motion. Incredibly, some stupid jury of moonrocks ACTUALLY BOUGHT THIS ARGUMENT AND AWARDED THE PLAINTIFF DAMAGES!!! Unbelieveable. I can't understand why any sane judge wouldn't have thrown the case out at the beginning, and maybe slapped the plaintiff's lawyer with a nice expensive sanction for wasting the court's time with a frivolous lawsuit. But it went to the jury and the jury -- well, maybe they figured what the hell, it's only an insurance company's money, it's not THEIR money, so they'll give it away.