• Conrail caboose questions

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

by airman00

Hey I was looking at a some pictures of the few extended view cabooses conrail owned. I see the little exhaust pipe on top. was there a wood stove in there? Also does anyone have a picture of what the inside looked like. I was always curious about a cabooses layout.
  by Ramcat

The extended vision cabooses on Conrail came from the Reading. They were assigned Class N20. They were fitted with coal burning stoves on the Reading. The coal stoves were changed out for oil burning stoves using No. 2 fuel oil which was standard for all Conrail cabooses.
  by lvrr325

Any model magazine with drawings of cabooses will show the layout inside, although there's not a lot to it, usually they had risers with storage drawers in the cupola area, stove one end, table for the conductor to work from, and benches that could serve as beds in one end. And of course a toilet, also generally on one end.
Last edited by lvrr325 on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by ST214

I have a different caboose question, but i will post it here since there's already a thread....

Were any cabooses painted red before the merger? We never did see any cabooses up in this area.....
  by scharnhorst

ST214 wrote:I have a different caboose question, but i will post it here since there's already a thread....

Were any cabooses painted red before the merger? We never did see any cabooses up in this area.....
I beleve that the Red Conrail Cabooses came out after the split between CSX and NS as many cars still rolled around as is 2-3 years after the merger.
  by Ken S.

scharnhorst wrote:
ST214 wrote:I have a different caboose question, but i will post it here since there's already a thread....

I beleve that the Red Conrail Cabooses came out after the split between CSX and NS as many cars still rolled around as is 2-3 years after the merger.
There's still a couple of blue ones out there. Car 22137 is heavily tagged and usually operates along the NEC in NJ. Another one in blue is at Oak Point in the Bronx.
  by lvrr325

Conrail cabooses were blue. Those repainted by NS have been red. In some cases with full Conrail lettering. At least one repainted by CSX came out in what looks more or less like primer grey.

Before this the only red Conrail cabooses were those inherited from the LV, CNJ, EL and some RDG cars that remained in their previous paint schemes.
  by scharnhorst

lvrr325 wrote:Conrail cabooses were blue. Those repainted by NS have been red. In some cases with full Conrail lettering. At least one repainted by CSX came out in what looks more or less like primer grey.

Before this the only red Conrail cabooses were those inherited from the LV, CNJ, EL and some RDG cars that remained in their previous paint schemes.
there were 4 Cabooses painted Brown by Conrail that were in special service and assigned to dedicated Pennsylvania Power and Light Coal trains. I found this info in the Guide to Conrail Freight equipment 1976-1986.
  by ST214

Thanks all....i thought so but just wanted to be sure.
  by lvrr325

Conrail also painted some older cabooses grey with black lettering when assigned to MOW service.
  by lvrr325

CSX actually did paint one caboose red also, a former EL caboose that was in local service out of Marion OH got restored to red paint and EL diamond, albiet with "NYC" lettering, I'd forgotten about that one.
  by JonnyRay

Does anyone know what color was used on the conrail red caboose? I want to paint an ho scale engine in that paint scheme.