• Maybrook Yard

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by gawlikfj

Anybody have any photo's of Maybrook Yard from 1974 thru 1987 ?
Doesn't matter if its 5x7 or 8x10.
  by gawlikfj

Anyone in the Maybrook NY area have any photo's of Maybrook Yard they can post on NeRail site ? Please post them.
  by isaksenj

Thanks to a grant administered through the Southeastern New York Library Resources Council, (funded through Federal Library Services and Technology Act moneys, awarded to the New York State Library by the Federal Institute of Museum and Library Services), a series of images from the collection of the Maybrook Railroad Historical Society (and Museum) are being posted online:

http://www.hrvh.org/cdm4/browse.php?CISOROOT=/mrhs

Of particular interest are the circa-1918 Valuation maps for the yard, which were added during the latest site update:

http://www.hrvh.org/cdm4/document.php?C ... R=64&REC=3
  by gawlikfj

Could any Railroad today make use of the ex-New Haven railyard at Maybrook ?
  by TomNelligan

The Maybrook yard was torn up long ago and much of the land has been reused. There's a big truck terminal on the site, among other things. That's on top of the fact that it's entire purpose for existing (sorting freight interchanged between the New Haven and the Erie, Lehigh & Hudson River, Lehigh & New England, and New York, Ontario & Western) also vanished decades ago.
  by gawlikfj

One Quarter of the Yard is used by Yellow Freight but, the other 3/4 is still not used .
I was just asking if a railroad needed more space to store cars ,could a railroad put in more tracks & use the unused portion of Maybrook Yard .
  by Noel Weaver

Stored cars (and locomotives) are not a good sign for any railroad. I can't imagine any railroad building tracks to store cars on. They build and improve facilities to generate and accomodate business.
Unfortunately, Maybrook is a sad story of what used to be. Two humps, a major car shop, locomotive shop, icing station, power house, RR YMCA and everything else that goes with a busy terminal.
At one time six different railroads all exchanged cars at either Maybrook or Campbell Hall but mostly Maybrook. It is all history today, replaced by better routes and not needed anymore because of shifting traffic patterns, loss of heavy industry in the general area and mergers.
In so far as rail freight traffic is concerned, it is not likely to ever change.
Noel Weaver
  by gawlikfj

I know what you say Noel is so true, and when you think of all the good railroad people of the CNE,NH,L&HR,L&NE,EL&O&W and good engines they had to work with that passed through such a good railyard like Maybrook .
  by Noel Weaver

gawlikfj wrote:I know what you say Noel is so true, and when you think of all the good railroad people of the CNE,NH,L&HR,L&NE,EL&O&W and good engines they had to work with that passed through such a good railyard like Maybrook .
I appreciate this remark. The good people of the past have also been replaced for the most part by the good people of CSX, NS, NYS&W, Metro-North, Amtrak and other railroads in Allentown, Selkirk, North Jersey and elsewhere. They are still doing their jobs to their best and will continue to do so in the future.
As for engines, well, some of them were good and some were not so good, I worked on both. In all fairness I think the engines of today are far better than the engines of the past at least the 60's for the most part based on experiences.
As for us, the "has beens", we have the memories which we can occasionally relate on here and elsewhere. Best I can do.
Noel Weaver
  by gawlikfj

You and others are far from has beens . More like trail blazers for younger ones to follow .
I named the railroads that went into Maybrook and didn't mean to leave out the current railroads who do such a great job moving the freight that we all need. Thank you all.
  by charlie6017

New York State taxes are high as it is---no corporate heads in their right mind are going to leave any removable infrastructure to have to pay taxes on them if they are not needed. Maybrook was entirely redundant as of 4/1/1976. This has been hashed and rehashed numerous times.......sorry, but this nag is still dead.

Charlie
  by Jeff Smith

Doing some "yard" work ;-) and decided to merge some topics on various Maybrook stuff. Thought you'd like to know in case you want to review for related information.
  by gawlikfj

Thank You for all the beautiful pictures of a beautiful place at a beautiful time . Thank you to all the Maybrook Railroaders who made all this possible and to Sam Christian who worked as a brakeman & lived & worked out of Maybrook.
  by gawlikfj

Don't stop at Willoughby !!! I'm not ready for that place for a long time yet !!! I Hope .