• IC&E "Dispatcher" question.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by IC&E6565

One thing I notice when both while up rail-fanning along the IC&E main lines or just listening from home that the Dispatchers for the IC&E in Sioux Falls SD don't actually ID themselves as "Dispatcher", they ID themselves as "Operations", I find this rather odd, anyone have an idea why they do this?.
  by ICGinSD

The DM&E originally started calling their dispatchers "operations supervisors" to give them the authority to direct train crews in what work was needed to be done enroute and at terminals. This in effect made the dispatchers the trains crews supervisors while they were on duty, as opposed to just being able to issue track authority.
Matt
  by Engineer Spike

Sounds like Guilford, only they did it to scab out the dispatchers' jobs.
  by Minneapolitan

I work on the DM&E. Spike's right.
  by Thunder

Yeah I loved the DS'es on the IC&E. Had one walk out on us in the middle of his shift lol. CN calls theirs RTC.