• Medical Exam

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by G Dawg

What is involved in the recertification of the conductor medical exam?
  by COEN77

G Dawg wrote:What is involved in the recertification of the conductor medical exam?
What do you mean by recertification? Were you out of service/furloughed? When I think of recertification it's the reissuing of a locomotive engineers FRA certification card. Conductors are new to FRA certification. Mostly it's about vision & hearing test. If a person was out of service/furloughed then a drug test is also necessary. It's usually not a full physical like pre-employment.
  by G Dawg

Just wondering if it is as strict as when first hired, cause I have noticed my hearing has changed a little from the job. So they check again for all that vision, depth perception, color vision, etc? or just vision and hearing and its over?
  by COEN77

They'll do the typical vision testing read the lines, check for color. Hearing test the bar isn't as high as you think. If I was able to pass every 3 years for FRA recertification then it isn't that high. The entire medical usually took about 20-30 minutes. Which railroad? That might a difference I can only go by CSX standards.
  by G Dawg

Metro North