• Peter Lynch (1945-2011)

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Otto Vondrak

It is my sad duty to report the passing of our friend Peter Lynch. Quite the shock, I must say. He was so instrumental and helpful when it came to preparing my book and just an all around nice guy. I will miss morning train rides with him on the New Haven Line.

-otto-

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/hartfo ... U;facebook
Peter E. Lynch of Old Saybrook passed away unexpectedly in Worcester, MA on Tuesday, (June 14, 2011). Peter was the beloved husband of Kathryn P. Lynch. He was born in Bronxville, NY on Oct. 23, 1945 the son of the late Robert Merrill and Janet (Tee) Lynch. Peter was raised in Pelham, NY and as a teenager worked at the Pelham Railroad Station selling tickets; this began a lifelong love of railroad transportation. He was a graduate of Brown University and received his MBA from Rutgers University. Peter served his country in the US Army during the Vietnam War. He enjoyed a 47 year career working in management positions for the New Haven Railroad, Penn Central Railroad, Conrail, and the Housatonic Railroad. He retired in Dec. 2010 from AECOM as a railroad consultant. He was an author and had three books published about the New Haven and Penn Central Railroads and also wrote Silvo, a memoire of the late Congressman Silvo O. Conte. Peter was an active member of New York-New Haven Railroad Historical & Technical Assoc. and will be remembered for his passionate campaigning for rail service in the Northeast. He was a lover of everything Italian, classical music, opera, history and politics. Besides his wife Kathi, he leaves his daughter, Kelley P. Moueix (Edouard) of France, his sister, Susan Lynch Gannon (Raymond) of Larchmont, NY, and his brother Robert S. Lynch (Laurie) of New Hampshire; a loving family and many dear friends.
Visitation will be held on Friday, June 17 at the Robinson, Wright & Weymer Funeral Home, 34 Main St., Centerbrook from 6- 8 p.m. A memorial service will be held on Saturday, June 18 at St. Ann's Episcopal Church, 82 Shore Rd, Old Lyme at 2 p.m. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the New York-New Haven Railroad Historical & Technical Assoc., c/o Tom Curtin, 160 Riverside Blvd, Apt. 11a NY, NY 10069 or to Brown University, PO. Box 1893, Providence, RI 02912. To sign the guestbook or leave a condolence for the family please visit http://www.rwwfh.com.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Noel Weaver

I had many friends whom were officials over the years and Pete Lynch was one of the best. He was a nice person and an outstanding railroader. His knowledge of the railroad over the years was fantastic. His books are among the best too. I shall miss him.
Noel Weaver
  by Tommy Meehan

Yes this does come as a shock. I contacted him several years ago and he was terrific. A quality guy.

Very sad news.
  by gawlikfj

Didn't really know Mr.Lynch but, through his books you really felt like you knew him. Very sorry & will miss him .