Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by Trainplanner

Thanks to everyone for your reply regarding my query re obtaining Business Clas/Club Class seats on the Maple Leaf. I was aware that "business class service" was not available but was still hoping to obtain a business/club class seat. Regards Trainplanner Melbourne
  by 7express

I'm going up to Toronto June 11-14. Flying up the 11th, but taking the train back to NY the 14th. I have business class for both legs of the trip (Toronto to the border and then the border into NYP, but I'll probably get off at Poughkeepsie or Croton Harmon and take the commuter rail in). I have the same seat for both legs and the only difference is from Toronto to the border there's VIA rail employees and then on is Amtrak employees, correct??
  by Silverliner II

7express wrote:I have the same seat for both legs and the only difference is from Toronto to the border there's VIA rail employees and then on is Amtrak employees, correct??
That is correct.

Also, keep an eye on the timekeeping as well, just in case delays mess with any connections to Metro-North at either Poughkeepsie or Harmon. On my trip from Toronto to NYP in March, we lost an hour between Buffalo-Depew and Rochester, and another 20 minutes just east of Schenectady to wait for the westbound Lake Shore to pass.
  by NS VIA FAN

Silverliner II wrote:
7express wrote:I have the same seat for both legs and the only difference is from Toronto to the border there's VIA rail employees and then on is Amtrak employees, correct??
That is correct.
Also.....I don’t believe you will be offered a complementary beverage or newspaper on the VIA lag. To VIA.....it’s just another coach seat.
  by Silverliner II

NS VIA FAN wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:
That is correct.
Also.....I don’t believe you will be offered a complementary beverage or newspaper on the VIA leg. To VIA.....it’s just another coach seat.
Also true, since VIA-1 (or what is is now, Business Class?) is not offered on the Toronto-Niagara Falls trains.