• 40th Anniversary Train

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ThirdRail7

shadyjay wrote:Per the Amtrak Status Maps web site...

48 departing Chicago on 5/5 is reported on 5/6 as having motive power of 822 and 406.
See: http://www.dixielandsoftware.com/script ... &selday=05

Most likely there's another unit in the train, as I doubt one P40 can pull the entire combined 48/448, plus the Anniversary Train, even if it is on the "Water Level Route".
As previously indicated, the 406 isn't with this equipment. It is back in CHI. Naturally, the normal engine consist is assigned to 48.

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Gentlemen--

OK; "by proper WRITTEN authority'

Doth I give 60 Mass (Marketing or whoever oversees Train Day) to MUCH credit for having their act together?????
I think you know the unfortunate answer to that! :)
  by Railhead

I caught Lake Shore Limited in Rome, New York today, heading east to Albany
lead locomotive #52
second locomotive #13
third locomotive #822 in anniversary paint scheme
train was about 2 hours behind
  by MN-P32AC-DM-201-227

Any one have any idea when the equipment moves will be made from ALB, to NYC? I'd like to see those heritage units pass Harmon.:)
  by ThirdRail7

MN-P32AC-DM-201-227 wrote:Any one have any idea when the equipment moves will be made from ALB, to NYC? I'd like to see those heritage units pass Harmon.:)
Last I heard, this was in effect:
jhdeasy wrote:A friend of mine, whose private car will be on display at National Train Day 2012 at Grand Central Terminal in New York, tells me that Amtrak plans to deadhead the 40th Anniversary train consist, with one of more private cars for display, and possibly other Amtrak equipment for display, from ALB to Grand Central Terminal on Friday evening May 11. She expects their arrival in the Big Apple will be after the evening rush hour.
This plan was in the process of changing.
jhdeasy wrote: She expects that all the Amtrak equipment and the PVs will depart Grand Central Terminal on Saturday evening, after NTD concludes, and move to Sunnyside Yard via SHELL and the Hell Gate Bridge.

However,Dutchrailnut says:
DutchRailnut wrote:Its my underatanding that 40th anniversary train will go to Renselear, stay there for few days dropping the 406 and adding some other equipment for National train day at GCT. train willl deadhead to Poughkeepsie to be handed off to MNCR crew on or about the 10th.
So, perhaps they moved up the arrival so there's no rush on Friday night. Additionally, I STILL haven't seen anything in writing that allows the ACELA into GCT.
I'll know more tomorrow.
  by Train2009

The Cannonball was added onto the rear of Train #80 between Washington, DC and New York City as it left DC Early this evening. Tomorrow, it will head up to Albany on the rear of a midday Empire Service train. Friday night, the Cannonball, Hickory Creek and other passenger equipment (including the 40th train with #822) will go back down the Husdon Line to Grand Central Station to get ready for Saturdays NTD festivities.

Today Thursday 5/10 The Cannon Ball and two more PV Cars left NYP on Train #233 for Albany, NY
Last edited by Train2009 on Thu May 10, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by AMTK1007

ThirdRail7 wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:Its my underatanding that 40th anniversary train will go to Renselear, stay there for few days dropping the 406 and adding some other equipment for National train day at GCT. train willl deadhead to Poughkeepsie to be handed off to MNCR crew on or about the 10th.
AMTK 406 was not with the Heritage train, it was lined up 3rd out on 30(8) Chicago to Washington for furtherance to Philadelphia
  by ThirdRail7

AMTK1007 wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:
AMTK 406 was not with the Heritage train, it was lined up 3rd out on 30(8) Chicago to Washington for furtherance to Philadelphia
The 406 and the rest of the Superliner equipment that was on display in Toledo, headed back to Chicago on 29(5). All of that equipment was supposed to participate in Chicago's NTD events. Have plans changed again???
  by AMTK1007

ThirdRail7 wrote:
AMTK1007 wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote:
The 406 and the rest of the Superliner equipment that was on display in Toledo, headed back to Chicago on 29(5). All of that equipment was supposed to participate in Chicago's NTD events. Have plans changed again???
I believe the plans for the 406 DID change, but not the Superliners, at least from what I was told...
  by ThirdRail7

The 40th train and the Private cars should follow 64(11) and interchange at CRT. The Acela display is heading to GCT via NRO on Friday. The 406 is still in CHI and is part of their NTD event. The rest of the fleet (9800,10001 etc) is going to NRO tonight to head to GCT.
  by gregorygrice

T
ThirdRail7 wrote:The 40th train and the Private cars should follow 64(11) and interchange at CRT. The Acela display is heading to GCT via NRO on Friday. The 406 is still in CHI and is part of their NTD event. The rest of the fleet (9800,10001 etc) is going to NRO tonight to head to GCT.
Thanks for the info. By the way what is NRO and is the 40th train following 64 Friday night or tonight?
  by Backshophoss

CP Shell or whatever # it is now,the jct with Hellgate route to NYP
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Third Rail; OK you deliver the Acela set to Metro North at New Rochelle; is there any assurance that Mr. Railnut will handle it from there to GCT? I would think safe assumption that no Amtrak C&E are qualified those 16 miles West of "Shell'. What locomotive will MNR use as a "pusher' and where and how will it be added to the consist?

This will be interesting to learn how the Acela set is handled, and also, by what Authority it will move over MNR.
  by ThirdRail7

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Third Rail; OK you deliver the Acela set to Metro North at New Rochelle; is there any assurance that Mr. Railnut will handle it from there to GCT? I would think safe assumption that no Amtrak C&E are qualified those 16 miles West of "Shell'. What locomotive will MNR use as a "pusher' and where and how will it be added to the consist?

This will be interesting to learn how the Acela set is handled, and also, by what Authority it will move over MNR.

Dutch will have all of the paperwork he needs. It has been prepared. :) Equipment coming from WAS/NYP will operate to New Rochelle. From there, Metro-North will couple to the rear and tow it to GCT. The Acela on FRI will follow the same plan except it will wye at Mott Haven shove onto GCT for placement. The anniversary train will follow 64(11) to CRT. Metro-North will operate it to GCT without adding an additional unit (which I find interesting.)

On Saturday, all equipment leaves GCT in three waves. Metro-North operates the equipment to NRO. From there, Amtrak couple to the rear and take it to Sunnyside (via NYP.) The anniversary train departs for PHL on 43(13), the private cars (with a small exception) are being handed off to NJT (12) and the displayed equipment (10001,8400) makes its way to home base.
  by hi55us

ThirdRail7 wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Third Rail; OK you deliver the Acela set to Metro North at New Rochelle; is there any assurance that Mr. Railnut will handle it from there to GCT? I would think safe assumption that no Amtrak C&E are qualified those 16 miles West of "Shell'. What locomotive will MNR use as a "pusher' and where and how will it be added to the consist?

Dutch will have all of the paperwork he needs. It has been prepared. :) Equipment coming from WAS/NYP will operate to New Rochelle. From there, Metro-North will couple to the rear and tow it to GCT. The Acela on FRI will follow the same plan except it will wye at Mott Haven shove onto GCT for placement. The anniversary train will follow 64(11) to CRT. Metro-North will operate it to GCT without adding an additional unit (which I find interesting.)

On Saturday, all equipment leaves GCT in three waves. Metro-North operates the equipment to NRO. From there, Amtrak couple to the rear and take it to Sunnyside (via NYP.) The anniversary train departs for PHL on 43(13), the private cars (with a small exception) are being handed off to NJT (12) and the displayed equipment (10001,8400) makes its way to home base.
Any idea of when on Friday/Saturday the acela will be going down to GCT? I would love to catch a photo of it on 125th St.