• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Train2009

The Northbound Texas Eagle Train #22 to Chicago, IL has 2 FRA Cars in the rear currently
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Train, in view of that your immediate posting was made at 505P CT, you are likely addressing #22(30); or the Texas Eagle that departed its originating station, San Antonio, on April 30. This train, if "more or less" on-time, is now in the vicinity of Longview TX.

However, there is the possibility you are addressing #22(29) which has now arrived in Chicago.
  by Train2009

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Train, in view of that your immediate posting was made at 505P CT, you are likely addressing #22(30); or the Texas Eagle that departed its originating station, San Antonio, on April 30. This train, if "more or less" on-time, is now in the vicinity of Longview TX.

However, there is the possibility you are addressing #22(29) which has now arrived in Chicago.
That was today's train which it left San Antonio and will be in Chicago, IL tomorrow 5/1.
  by dreese_us

dreese_us wrote:Have New York Central and another on 50 with 156 red nose leading. Next stop Culpeper. Leaving for Manassas VA.
Think I figured it out, had Braddock Inn and I believe New York Central #38 on #50 Cardinal Sunday night. Dropped both cars in Washington DC.
  by Tadman

You guys got your wishes - Ocean View (great dome) is trailing the train now, albeit not on Adirondack, instead on Missouri service. I wonder if they usually wye the power or the entire train. I've seen both happen in KC while on layover for #3.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 61&nseq=33
  by MBTA1016

Tadman wrote:You guys got your wishes - Ocean View (great dome) is trailing the train now, albeit not on Adirondack, instead on Missouri service. I wonder if they usually wye the power or the entire train. I've seen both happen in KC while on layover for #3.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 61&nseq=33
It looks like a caboose from that angle. The private is car is similar to the k cars(double deckers)used on mbta trains.
  by Jtgshu

I guess this is as good a thread as any to put it in...

Today while passing Adams MOW base in Adams, NJ (just west of New Brunswick and Jersey Ave. Stations), it looked like the "pointless arrow" (phase 1 paint?) MOW passenger car that has been at Adams for seemingly ever has started to be scrapped. There were several pieces of machinery and claws around it, and it looked like they pulled off an AC unit or something on the back side of it, as the roof was pulled off and up a little bit. They seemed to clear an area out and I wonder if that line of old MOW stuff and even older passenger cars are next to get scissored.

The one car has clear New York Central lettering, the other one has what looks like NY Central lettering, and a baggage car in old Amtrak phase 2 (?) paint. they are at the west end of the line of stuff, so id assume if thats the scrap line, they would be last.
  by chuchubob

Amtrak GP38-3 525 was on CSX Q417-04 from Selkirk, NY, to Camden, NJ. It was supposed to be removed at Woodbourne Yard on the CSX Trenton Line in Bucks County, PA, but was still on Q417 when it arrived in South Jersey Saturday morning.
  by Tadman

They'll notice it by the time the train gets to Atlanta. Maybe.

CSX has been known to misroute ferry-move passenger engines.
  by ThirdRail7

Jtgshu wrote:I guess this is as good a thread as any to put it in...

Today while passing Adams MOW base in Adams, NJ (just west of New Brunswick and Jersey Ave. Stations), it looked like the "pointless arrow" (phase 1 paint?) MOW passenger car that has been at Adams for seemingly ever has started to be scrapped. There were several pieces of machinery and claws around it, and it looked like they pulled off an AC unit or something on the back side of it, as the roof was pulled off and up a little bit. They seemed to clear an area out and I wonder if that line of old MOW stuff and even older passenger cars are next to get scissored.

The one car has clear New York Central lettering, the other one has what looks like NY Central lettering, and a baggage car in old Amtrak phase 2 (?) paint. they are at the west end of the line of stuff, so id assume if thats the scrap line, they would be last.

Heartbreaking. That was MOW base's office for years. It is truly the end of an era. :(
  by JR4815D2

chuchubob wrote:Amtrak GP38-3 525 was on CSX Q417-04 from Selkirk, NY, to Camden, NJ. It was supposed to be removed at Woodbourne Yard on the CSX Trenton Line in Bucks County, PA, but was still on Q417 when it arrived in South Jersey Saturday morning.
if this was today, last week it was on the train Q433. Looks like it is going up and down.
  by Backshophoss

Tadman,In an "Amtrak Annual" that was published around the late 1970's,there was a batch of ex-NYC Baggage cars "aquired" from PC for use
as storage cars around the NEC,they were not the best ,more like scrap material and used/abused like work cars,that might be 1 of them.
  by Gilbert B Norman

B-32 #500 is handling the five car consist of #382(7); passed MP18.70 (actually closer to my home than 18.34) "more or less" on-time.

FWIW, the Horizons are looking all the better now that Amtrak has found a Platinum Mist that bonds well with their aluminum sheathing.
  by electricron

Gilbert B Norman wrote:FWIW, the Horizons are looking all the better now that Amtrak has found a Platinum Mist that bonds well with their aluminum sheathing.
I certainly hope so. Do you have any photos of Horizons with a new paint job that's several years old? It's easy to state Platinum Mist looks great from a photo of a brand spanking new paint job, the proof in the pudding is what do they look like in a photo after several years.