• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by JR4815D2

gregorygrice wrote:
JR4815D2 wrote:
20th Century Limited wrote:Cedar Rapids, New York Central #43 and Hickory Creek on 233(29) and 244(29).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XOubwOBSbU
I caught the northbound at Croton. Ill be getting the southbound at Phillipse Manor
minus the The Milwaukee Road Skylounge or would it be coming back?
  by gregorygrice

All three should be coming back but because they can turned the train aound Hickory Creek will trail. The plan was for them to take turns.
  by dreese_us

Have New York Central and another on 50 with 156 red nose leading. Next stop Culpeper. Leaving for Manassas VA.
Last edited by dreese_us on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by JR4815D2

gregorygrice wrote:All three should be coming back but because they can turned the train aound Hickory Creek will trail. The plan was for them to take turns.
I know it could be turned around. I doubt they would run it the opposite
  by railfan365

This seemed to be the best thread in which to post a question that I have about Amtrak equipment. Back in the mid-90's, I travelled between New York City and Albany on peculiar 5 car trains consisting of 3 trailer coaches riding between 2 cars each of which was half power car and half passenger coach. They were later replaced by single ended trains consisting of traditional coaches pulled by a Genesis locomotive. One time in the early 2000's, I saw one of those trains being pulled by a Genesis locomotive. If I remember right, they were identified as going under some type of turbine power.

Anyway, with this background given, my actual question is: Does anyone know the present whereabouts of these trains, or how they were dispose dof if they're not in Amtrak service anymore? Thanks.
  by gregorygrice

railfan365 wrote:This seemed to be the best thread in which to post a question that I have about Amtrak equipment. Back in the mid-90's, I travelled between New York City and Albany on peculiar 5 car trains consisting of 3 trailer coaches riding between 2 cars each of which was half power car and half passenger coach. They were later replaced by single ended trains consisting of traditional coaches pulled by a Genesis locomotive. One time in the early 2000's, I saw one of those trains being pulled by a Genesis locomotive. If I remember right, they were identified as going under some type of turbine power.

Anyway, with this background given, my actual question is: Does anyone know the present whereabouts of these trains, or how they were dispose dof if they're not in Amtrak service anymore? Thanks.
All Turbo Trains were scrapped.
  by Greg Moore

gregorygrice wrote:
railfan365 wrote:This seemed to be the best thread in which to post a question that I have about Amtrak equipment. Back in the mid-90's, I travelled between New York City and Albany on peculiar 5 car trains consisting of 3 trailer coaches riding between 2 cars each of which was half power car and half passenger coach. They were later replaced by single ended trains consisting of traditional coaches pulled by a Genesis locomotive. One time in the early 2000's, I saw one of those trains being pulled by a Genesis locomotive. If I remember right, they were identified as going under some type of turbine power.

He's referring to the Turboliners, not the Turbotrains. The RTL-IIIs still exist and are stored on Amtrak property, I believe at Bear, Delaware.
  by gregorygrice

Greg Moore wrote:
gregorygrice wrote:

He's referring to the Turboliners, not the Turbotrains. The RTL-IIIs still exist and are stored on Amtrak property, I believe at Bear, Delaware.
The remaining one I believe is just a shell.
  by rohr turbo

No, not shells and not scrapped. There are three complete Rohr Turboliner sets stored in Bear Delaware in good shape having been rebuilt at great expense by state of NY. See my avatar for a picture of these great trainsets in happier operating days.
  by Tadman

Mod Note: This is a fine topic for a new thread, no harm in making one. This particular "unique equipment sightings" thread is for contemporary sightings of PV's, extras, borrowed power and rolling stock, etc... The idea is that if one member sees something interesting in, say, Albany, other members in places like Erie, Toledo, and South Bend can get their cameras ready and get trackside by the time the train rolls through. Myself, JP, and Erik put it together about four years ago right about the time they transitioned to me and a couple other guys as mods. (Who was mod with me that first year? I've been doing this since late '08 or early '09 now...)