Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by jlr3266

cruiser939 wrote:
jlr3266 wrote:If I may ask a serious question...anyone know what kind of razor blades these will become?
Gillette fusions. I cut a sweet deal with the boys from Gillette for priority on the locos. Free blades for life... do you know how much those things cost? No brainer.
That's some good financial planning. Good to hear they are spared the indignity of becoming ladies disposbles!
  by Tadman

I don't know what the specifics of NJT's federal monies agreement is, but in Chicago, we have two similar examples:

1. CTA 2200 cars were financed by federal money related to the construction of interstate highways here, because the interstate had rapid transit down the median. When the line that goes down the median of the Eisenhower Expressway was subdivided, and one subdivision (pink line) didn't go down any medians anymore, they had to ensure the 2200s weren't operated on the pink line because the 2200s were specifically funded for interstate-related rapid transit.

2. Metra replaced their 70s-vintage 600s with the 400s. Two of the 600s had been rebuilt in the 90s with federal money so they couldn't be sold to Helm or NRE along with the rest of the fleet. Funny thing is, after being laid up and stacks capped, they returned to service after 5+ years due to a traffic crush. Everybody thought they were going to serve their gov't-mandated time in layup and then be razor blades just like the ALP44s, but they didn't, they came back. 614 even blew a generator and was returned to service a few weeks later. The Chicago foamers love 'em so much that there's a tracking thread in our forum. Me? I can't get all that excited about an SD40 with cowling...
  by 25Hz

I do have a sneaking suspicion the 44's are not quite done yet.
  by DutchRailnut

Wow another TRE prediction ??
  by X4401

They have some 44's sitting in Port Morris don't they?
  by Fan Railer

X4401 wrote:They have some 44's sitting in Port Morris don't they?
And where have you been?
  by acelaphillies

Fan Railer wrote:
And where have you been?
Hahaha! X4401, check out the first two pages of this thread.
  by morris&essex4ever

25Hz wrote:I do have a sneaking suspicion the 44's are not quite done yet.
And which agency do you expect to rebuild them and put them back into service?
  by 25Hz

morris&essex4ever wrote:
25Hz wrote:I do have a sneaking suspicion the 44's are not quite done yet.
And which agency do you expect to rebuild them and put them back into service?
I have no idea. Maybe it's just me, but i see these as more valuable in one piece working than as "gillete fusions".
  by X4401

acelaphillies wrote:
Fan Railer wrote:
And where have you been?
Hahaha! X4401, check out the first two pages of this thread.
Hahaha Egg on Face, stinky load in pants...
  by Uzi-Cat

DutchRailnut wrote:Wow another TRE prediction ??
:)
  by ChrisU

Heard from a reliable source that Septa is going to purchase 2 ALP44s.
  by sixty-six

NJTArrow2 wrote:Heard from a reliable source that Septa is going to purchase 2 ALP44s.
They already have one they can't keep running, I highly doubt they're in the market for two more.
  by acelaphillies

NJTArrow2 wrote:Heard from a reliable source that Septa is going to purchase 2 ALP44s.
SWEEET!! :) I would love to see these running on SEPTA push-pull trains!
sixty-six wrote:They already have one they can't keep running, I highly doubt they're in the market for two more.
I heard that SEPTA may want these units for their push-pull sets while their AEM-7s are getting overhauled.
  by ChrisU

One of my friends that work for NJT got this information from the MMC mechanical foreman today.