• Franklin Street Station (Reading, PA)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by jfrey40535

Who owns Franklin Street Station? I paid my first visit to it on Saturday, and it appears very similar to Pottstown Station, except its a complete mess. The old canopy across the street (for the days when we had long trains) is long gone, and the ROW is a trash strewn single track now. Will post pictures shortly.

I assume since SEPTA does not own the line like the Bethlehem Branch, that they don't own any of the stations either.
  by Schuylkill Valley

The station was built in 1928 and the City of Reading owns it.

Len.
  by jfrey40535

A pale shadow of its former self. At least there are plans to preserve it

Similar to Pottstown, the telegraph/trainline phone lines still remain because they're on steel poles, although some of the wooden ones down the line still exist and haven't been taken out by NS.
  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

The station is NOT owned by the city of Reading. 2.1 million has been set aside to start the resto.
  by Schuylkill Valley

well who owns it then???????

Len.
  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

send a PM Len, We would be happy to fill you in about this great project.
  by wanderer34

Good news (as far as the station is concerned), but I heard that BARTA is going to renovate the station and turn it into a bus terminal. The commuter rail extension has been postponed and I'm not sure what SEPTA is going to do so far about bringing rail service back to Berks County!!!!!
  by rrbluesman

Unless there is a sudden and strong political drive for the railroad extension to reach Reading, the project will be dicussed and postponed forever.
  by pumpers

RDGTRANSMUSEUM wrote:send a PM Len, We would be happy to fill you in about this great project.
What's new in the past 3 years on this? JS