• Sound Silverliner II's (And Possibly III's) Used To Make

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by SubwayTim

Up until around the late 1980's, the Silverliner II's (and possibly also the III's) used to make this unique "wooo" sound in the engineer's cab during certain points of the trip and after the air brakes were released at the last stop. Does anyone know what that sound was??? I know it was not the horn. Also, are there any videos floating around of 1980's-era SEPTA Regional Rail that may feature some of the original sounds the Silverliners made? Thanks.
  by Clearfield

Probably the old disc brakes that were later replaced by quieter tread brakes. That wasn't the reason they were replaced tho.
  by Silverliner II

Another possibility (but this would apply ONLY to the ex-PRR Silverliner II's and the III's):

The original PRR cab signal equipment on those cars (until replaced in 1989-1990 by the current displays) made a "woooooo" sound on any downgrade in aspect (which could explain you hearing it on occasion while in motion; the duration of the sound depended on how fast the engineer was on acknowledging the change). It would also sound when cutting in/out the control stand of the leading car at each end of the line or when changing crews at Suburban.

I have audio recordings on cassette of that old cab signal horn going off from my ride on the Farewell to the Pioneer trip in 1990, but not sure how I could get it on here, unless I use my video camera to record it going off while focused on a photo of a Budd, and then post it to Youtube and link it here. If you think that will help, I could do that by tonight, or on Friday.
  by Jersey_Mike

Go ride an M2 and tell me if you hear the same noise. Those still use the whistle type cab signal alertors and I believe they go off when the engineer keys in and out.

This YouTube video has some M2 cab signal hits in the later part so tell me if that is the sound you remember.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVMbUYEf67U
  by ex Budd man

What you are remembering was the whistle for cab signal. It was part of an elaborate system with pneumatic timing circuits and was tied to the dead man foot pedal. On the PRR Budds the brackets are still visable on the outside of the car near the battery box. Like the modern electronic system, you must acknowledge the whistle to forstall a penalty brake application.
  by Silverliner II

Cab signal horn from an ex-PRR Budd Silverliner on SEPTA

Sound of the Cab Signal
  by 60 Car

The sound I will miss is the whine/drone of the MA sets on the II/III's.

In my youth, pre-commuter tunnel, that was the "sound of Suburban Station" to me.
  by add2718

60 Car wrote:The sound I will miss is the whine/drone of the MA sets on the II/III's.

In my youth, pre-commuter tunnel, that was the "sound of Suburban Station" to me.
I think I know exactly what you mean and I loved that sound too. Even as an adult when I walked to the train station I would hear that sound before I could see the train waiting there (Fox Chase) and know I was getting on a II or a III. =)

What does MA stand for, though?
  by Patrick Boylan

Silverliner II wrote: I have audio recordings on cassette of that old cab signal horn going off from my ride on the Farewell to the Pioneer trip in 1990, but not sure how I could get it on here, unless I use my video camera to record it going off while focused on a photo of a Budd, and then post it to Youtube and link it here. If you think that will help, I could do that by tonight, or on Friday.
Silverliner II wrote:Cab signal horn from an ex-PRR Budd Silverliner on SEPTA

Sound of the Cab Signal
you promised us a Budd's still photo and delivered a shakycam video. Actually if you were to have resorted to a still photo you could have used any emu, even one of these

although I think this one's better looking
http://www.emuaustralia.com/Media/image ... 76x701.JPG
  by Silverliner II

Patrick Boylan wrote:
Silverliner II wrote: I have audio recordings on cassette of that old cab signal horn going off from my ride on the Farewell to the Pioneer trip in 1990, but not sure how I could get it on here, unless I use my video camera to record it going off while focused on a photo of a Budd, and then post it to Youtube and link it here. If you think that will help, I could do that by tonight, or on Friday.
Silverliner II wrote:Cab signal horn from an ex-PRR Budd Silverliner on SEPTA

Sound of the Cab Signal
you promised us a Budd's still photo and delivered a shakycam video. Actually if you were to have resorted to a still photo you could have used any emu, even one of these

although I think this one's better looking
http://www.emuaustralia.com/Media/image ... 76x701.JPG
LOL... well the Budd was indeed still in the photo.... ;)
  by 60 Car

add2718 wrote:
60 Car wrote:The sound I will miss is the whine/drone of the MA sets on the II/III's.

I think I know exactly what you mean and I loved that sound too. Even as an adult when I walked to the train station I would hear that sound before I could see the train waiting there (Fox Chase) and know I was getting on a II or a III. =)

What does MA stand for, though?
MA=Motor-alternator

Provides "hotel" power for lights, heat, A/C, blowers etc.....
  by Patrick Boylan

You railroad aristocrats always need a different term, almost like the French who seem to have a different word for everything. PCC trolleys have a Motor-Generator or MG.

Is there an electrician in the house? Is there a difference between a motor-alternator and a motor-generator?
  by 60 Car

Patrick Boylan wrote:You railroad aristocrats always need a different term, almost like the French who seem to have a different word for everything. PCC trolleys have a Motor-Generator or MG.

Is there an electrician in the house? Is there a difference between a motor-alternator and a motor-generator?
Yes.
Generators make DC
Alternators make AC

PCC cars have an MG because they use low voltage DC for control and things like the doors on an all electric car.

The Kawasaki LRVs have an MA becasue they use AC for the blowers, and Air Conditioning.
The K-Cars now have an Inverter since being VOH'd. One less piece of rotating machinery.
  by ex Budd man

A one time the whine of the BMA, from the blower inlet on SL-IIs, was so annoying where they layed over at night a circuit was changed so that the BMA and SEB only ran when the control plug was inserted. The MA ran as long as the pan was raised.