• Amtrak's ADIRONDACK

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by jhdeasy

My MOUNT VERNON car attendant tells me that the air conditioning was not working properly in the dome lounge car on today's (October 8th) train 69. Maybe the Via Rail Canada mechanical department at the Montreal Maintenance Centre (MMC) can repair it before departure on Sunday morning's train 68.
  by brettj22

It was certainly nice to see the dome car painted in phase III as well to match 145.
  by NS VIA FAN

Great shots as always......especially like the one at Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu.....nice RR sculpture there!
  by brettj22

Amtrak's website says the train has wifi in select cars. Where do you typically find it on this train?
  by hi55us

The cafe car should have wifi on the Adirondack and the amfleet 1 coaches. The amfleet 2 coaches (more legroom, curtains and legrests) don't have wifi. If you're sitting in an amfleet 2 coach (usually for passengers going to the end of the line), you can walk up to the cafe to use the wifi.

This is the same situation on the Pennsylvanian and the Palmetto (I believe).
  by R30A

If the first two digits of the car number is 25, it does not have wifi.
If the first two digits of the car number is 28, 43, or 82, it does have wifi.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Again, only Amfleet I cars are Wi-Fi equipped (those with two vestibules/four doors).

@R30A are the 28000-series Amfleet II diner/lounges Wi-Fi equipped? There are some 28000-series Amfleet I cafes as well.

On the Adirondack, is Wi-Fi enabled "north of the border"?
  by R30A

28000 series Amfleet IIs are not Wifi equipped. However, they do not run on the Adirondack in my experience.
28360 is the last Amfleet I remaining in the 283 series, and it can run on the Adirondack, so I listed it. (in fact, it along with club 20174 are the last two Amfleet Is without pushpull I suspect they will be equipped fairly soon...)
  by Albany Rider

R36 Combine Coach:

WiFi on the Adirondack (and on the Maple Leaf) is turned off just before the boarder to avoid the high "roaming charges" of the signal carriers.

A physical problem for the Adirondack is that mobil service is spotty north of Glens Falls because of the poor coverage in the Adirondack Park.

Tony
  by 25Hz

hi55us wrote:The cafe car should have wifi on the Adirondack and the amfleet 1 coaches. The amfleet 2 coaches (more legroom, curtains and legrests) don't have wifi. If you're sitting in an amfleet 2 coach (usually for passengers going to the end of the line), you can walk up to the cafe to use the wifi.

This is the same situation on the Pennsylvanian and the Palmetto (I believe).
And the maple leaf.
  by Jersey_Mike

Since Wi Fi has a range of more than 85 feet you can't say one car will have Wi Fi while another will not. When I sit in North Station I use the Wi Fi from the Downeaster set if it is on the platform and if it isn't I'll connect to one of the MBTA cars. The reason I posted my first comment is because the question is ridiculous. The whole point of wireless internet is that it doesn't work like the at-seat power cables do.
  by Railjunkie

Wi Fi can be found in the cafe car, but the way the system is set up if there should be a Amfleet II in the consist every Amfleet I in front of it will NOT have WiFi. This common on the Maple Leaf