• Bush Terminal Pictures

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by loekie

Visited Bush Terminal on Sunday and the surrounding area for the first time. Took some photos, check the below link.

Are there any decent locations to snap some photos? It looks like its all behind fences. I also saw some places to get behind the fence but was unsure about how kindly any potential security would take that. I am interested in photographing the offices, engine shop, float bridge, locos, etc. Any good locations to snap some photos would be greatly appreciated!

Enjoy!

http://www.flickr.com//photos/36901505@N08/show/
  by jtunnel

Anything behind the fences is Railroad and NYC EDC property. Place is open to those who do business or have business there.

Good news is that NYC is building a public park along the old bulkheads as part of the latest "upgrade", so in theory, you should have better legal access in the relatively near future.

The Railroad has moved out of the engine shop and now parks the locomotive down in the old 65th Street Yard near the Brooklyn Army Terminal for the time being. NYPD has K9 training and a Marine unit right next door.

What's good about this is you now get more street running along 1st Avenue, as the locomotive has to run over there to work the floats.

The Sanitation Garage street has some good views of the float bridges, just have to check with them before you hang out down there.
  by freightguy

Nice shots. I think all the active costumers on Brooklyn side take their cars now in Bush terminal. The lumber flat is probably for Midwood lumber. Davidson pipe would take their cars on the same track. I think the Chinese food distributor takes cars in the yard also. It was located up the street north near former Plywood Specialties. One of the cooler looking sidings was further south along was further south along 1st Ave. It bows out west than crosses at a diamond over tracks into the East side of the street now inactive. Only one outside terminal would be the SBK Railway near 39th.
  by rscott417

Really nice pics. you can access the yard right at 1st avenue and 50th street. i park my car in the lot to the right of the security gate, they never give me a hard time or even ask me what im doing. also if youre down there while they get a carfloat, the very end of 52nd street behind the sanitation salt shed gives a good view.
  by loekie

Thanks for all the tips!

I'm planning on returning to the area in a couple weeks on a Saturday or Sunday, so I will check out all the locations mentioned above.

I'll venture up to 65th street and snap some shots and down to 39th for the SBK Railway.

The Sanitation facility was all closed up when I was there so I did walk down to end of that street and was able to get a few pictures of the carfloat, I will have to scope out some better vantage points.

Thanks again everyone and I will be sure to post the pictures on my next trip!