Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by freightguy

Would the Pedestal signal for Duke, Fox, or Hare help date the photo? When did those go in...
  by Tommy Meehan

Doc Emmet Brown wrote:cant get more 69-70 then that..lol 69, 4 days shy of 70.
You know your railroad! :)
  by maxrail

Guys:

My answer just posted but since I wrote it at 8:35 last night, it posted PRIOR to this page. Roll back a day...

Dick Makse
  by Tommy Meehan

BUMP!
maxrail wrote:Interesting that you are discussing this picture. I usually have better notes so I had to scramble a little to reconstruct it from the scrawl in my calendar and my rapidly fading memory. It's Sunday, December 28, 1969. The L-2 is on the main, eastbound, at GREEN Interlocking (Kings Park, now FOX 2). The L-1 is westbound and taking the siding.

Now, here's the kicker. The L-2 was on #4622, the Sunday only Kings Park Hospital train. The hospital siding was snowed in and so hospital passengers were discharged at Kings Park. The hospital train would back out of the siding and DH as an extra to Port Jefferson to turn the engine. So it would run on signal indication as far as POST and then have a form 19 running order to cover manual block territory POST to Port Jefferson.

Needless to say, I was disappointed not to photograph the hospital train in the snow. Only a month before, I took black and whites of the hospital train.

This photo was scanned from a Kodacolor S negative; Kodacolor S was an excellent professional print film that I used when I had a few extra dollars.

Dick Makse
  by nyandw

Tommy Meehan wrote: "... Kings Park, at the east end at Green Interlocking on December 28, 1969..."
Great photo and thank you for the date/location. The view is: NE.
  by nyandw

nyandw wrote:
Tommy Meehan wrote: "... Kings Park, at the east end at Green Interlocking on December 28, 1969..."

Can I get partial credit as it was eastbound just prior to single track to Smithtown? ;-)
  by Jeff Smith

;-) contrary to popular opinion I'm not on here 24/7! Or the ghost in the machine either....lol.
Tommy Meehan wrote:I don't know what happened to Richard's message, he hasn't posted here in quite a while so presumably it's being held for moderator approval. At any rate, I think it's time to end the suspense.
  by Tommy Meehan

Jeff Smith wrote:;-) contrary to popular opinion I'm not on here 24/7! Or the ghost in the machine either....lol.
I thought you were here 25/8 :)

Again thanks to Dick for the photo and to the posters for the comments. Looking back I realize I should have invested more time fanning the LIRR. Wonder what I was doing that weekend? :(
  by nyandw

nyandw wrote:
The time of day is around 8-9:00am based on date, length of shadows and orientation.
  by Doc Emmet Brown

!969.. most people have a favorite year, Mine is probably 1969 Was 15, in high School, Man landed on the moon, Mets won the world series, Beatles Released Abby road. Not a bad year. Where did the time go..
  by nyandw

Doc Emmet Brown wrote:!969.. most people have a favorite year, Mine is probably 1969 Was 15, in high School, Man landed on the moon, Mets won the world series, Beatles Released Abby road. Not a bad year. Where did the time go..
Yup: Knicks :1969–70 NBA season, Jets: Super Bowl III January 12, 1969, Woodstock August, 1969, Islip Coal & Feed gone (south of main), 84 Lumber built (north of main)...

Back to L-1: Working the Montauk Branch: Image at Bay Shore eastbound and the 214 westbound: Image view east of Great Neck Rd. MP 35, as far as I can determine.
  by ElliotCourtney

That last one is Babylon Station looking West...I cant believe how much that view has changes since that picture was taken.
  by nyandw

ElliotCourtney wrote:That last one is Babylon Station looking West...I cant believe how much that view has changes since that picture was taken.
What is the track off to the left?
  by Doc Emmet Brown

looks like an eastbound coming into the center track in Babylon.. track 2. The track on the right is one station, the left is 3 station... i think lolol
  by No Door Light

Great photos! So much more interesting than the boring modern equipment.