• Triple track MFSE?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Bensalem SEPTA rider

I think a great idea to attract riders is to have a third express track between Frankford and 69st stopping only at the stretch between Spring Garden and 30st. I know this would be a major capital project, but it would provide much faster service from the terminals. Also, FTC should have a very large parking lot built and have it connect via a new highway spur to I-95. This would take people off I-95 and would help bring in money for SEPTA.

What do you think?

by jfrey40535

Would make more sense to reconfigure the A-B system which hasn't been changed in EONS!!

2nd St, 5th St and Spring Garden should definitely be on the list.

New SEPTA slogan "We're getting there....You're not!"

by SEPTALRV9072

Actually it has. It's been cut like hell over the years.

by jfrey40535

So SEPTA is making the trip longer for those getting on at Frankford. Typical.

by JeffK

A third track would be prohibitively expensive given that the entire infrastructure would have to be widened - trestles, tunnels and stations. There's no "slack area" to put the additional rails without major rebuilding. That's unlike the lower end of the P&W which was originally graded for 4-track operation and could support an express track if anyone ever got the $$ for it.
jfrey40535 wrote:So SEPTA is making the trip longer for those getting on at Frankford. Typical.
They have a long history of responding to complaints about express vehicles going past local stops by simply eliminating the express service. Years ago some riders on Market Street got bent outta shape about the 124/125 buses only stopping to discharge passengers inbound. Despite all the other service on Market, the Einsteins at 1234 decided that the 124/125s would become full locals. So, you've already been through the clogs at Gulph Mills, sat on the Surekill Messway for an hour, and now you have to play Dinky down Market?

Same thing with the 123. It was originally discharge-only inbound on West Chester Pike, which effectively meant no stops since nearly every rider was headed for the terminal. There are 4 parallel local routes but a couple of people got their knickers twisted up about being passed. Presto, no more expresses and what was a 40-minute trip grew to 50 or 55.

Slowing Every Passenger's Trip, Always
  by N.Y. State Of Mind

Bensalem SEPTA rider wrote:I think a great idea to attract riders is to have a third express track between Frankford and 69st stopping only at the stretch between Spring Garden and 30st. I know this would be a major capital project, but it would provide much faster service from the terminals. Also, FTC should have a very large parking lot built and have it connect via a new highway spur to I-95. This would take people off I-95 and would help bring in money for SEPTA.

What do you think?
Your idea is unbelievably void of any foundation in reality, and common sense. Do you actually think that there's space for a center track anywhere along the line? The passengers attracted to that service dosen't justify the wasted capital funds in building it, service disruptions during construction, loss of ridership because of said disruption, and the bankruptcy of SEPTA. So much for that project bringing in money. And, this parking lot you speak of, and the I-95 spur that's supposed to feed it, is just as bad. A highway spur will ironically attract more people to I-95, and where would this spur, and the parking lot, go? Would you mind presenting your proposal to the neighborhood residents who live in the path, or near, the I-95 spur, and the parking lot?
  by Umblehoon

N.Y. State Of Mind wrote:Your idea is unbelievably void of any foundation in reality, and common sense.
wow. That might be the nastiest post I've read on this forum.
  by glennk419

Umblehoon wrote:
N.Y. State Of Mind wrote:Your idea is unbelievably void of any foundation in reality, and common sense.
I guess his handle says it all.
  by N.Y. State Of Mind

Umblehoon wrote:
That's odd, I tried to tell him in a nice way that his idea was dumb.
  by Bensalem SEPTA rider

Umblehoon wrote:
I know him from Straps. He's kinda "tight".....

by Bensalem SEPTA rider

Look, it's just a thought. I think that SEPTA needs to make the El work better for riders. I know that a true skip-stop would help to get trains less crowded, allowing for more ridership. Why not have every train skip one stop and make the other one. Or, just scrap it althougether and focus on making the El faster. I mean, I could envision Frankford to 15st being 20 minutes if you simply kept the stops short and the running fast. Also, some express buses from the NE would really help too. They need to focus on keeping the stops spaced and routes less twisty.

by queenlnr8

And, with that said, I think that we have answered the question at hand.

Triple tracking the EL (Blue Line, MFSE, et al) is cost prohibitive. SEPTA should focus on streamlining the A-B system and speeding up the ride in totality.

Locked unless new, less catty, information can be provided.