• HobokenTerminal.com - Is it Worth Updating?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by RiverMP21

While I do not have any immediate plans to make any updates to hobokenterminal.com, it does remain on the back-burner for future work. However, I am curious whether or not it's even worth updating at this point. Is the website a dinosaur whose time has come and gone? Or is it something that still has a place on today's web?

The first incarnation of what is now The Unofficial NJ Transit Website was launced in 1994, hosted on Prodigy's personal webpage servers. In 1996, it moved to the servers of Washington University in St. Louis, and has been located at hoboketerminal.com since 2000. In 2001, I helped create the Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society, which began to take up most of my free time. In 2004, I hired out as a conductor on the Burlington Northern Santa Fe, where I continue to work today as a Yardmaster. In 2011, my wife and I welcomed our first child. In addition to my regular Yardmaster duties, I am also the Vice Local Chairman of our Site Safety Committee, the Local Chairman for Operation Stop, and am working on several special projects for the railroad. Between home, work, and ELDCPS, there just isn't time to work on hobokenterminal.com.

So, that all being said, what do you all think? Should the website be updated when time permits, or should it just fade away?

What features would you want to see? What features should be removed? What works, and what doesn't?

Now is the time for honest and constructive feedback - good or bad.

Does hoboketerminal.com go the way of the U34CH?
  by 25Hz

It has been a valuable reference source for me, so i for one hope added photos, fates of sold equipment etc is kept up to date.

Man, i know this is going to sound foamer-y, but seeing that photo of the FRA test train makes me realize that i really do miss those alp-44's. I don't know why.
  by waldwickrailfan

I think it is worth updating, at least when you have the time to do it. I think it could be similar to the format on NSDash9.com. I hope this site keeps on going, it is a great source on info for me.
  by ns3010

I would also say that it would be worth updating. I'd also be willing to help out, if it would help to keep the site alive.
  by nick11a

I've always admired your work on the site, just wanted to say. I learned a lot from it and it is a valuable reference.
  by ACeInTheHole

nick11a wrote:I've always admired your work on the site, just wanted to say. I learned a lot from it and it is a valuable reference.
I second this completely, I learned most everything I know equipmentwise from hobokenterminal, it is worth an update for sure.
  by NJT4272

Most definitely worth updating and maintaining. I have always found it to be one of the most useful reference tools. There is no comparison on the web for the 'NJ TRANSIT / NJDOT All-Time Locomotive Roster'. When researching certain locomotive histories, it is my go-to source. I don't know what I'd do without it. Incredible reference.

Update when the time allows. Please! I'd also be happy to contribute whatever bits of new information you might need, particularly in regards to NJT's E-8s. There's a few things that need to be made current.
  by Jtgshu

I totally agree, that is the "go to" site for me when im curious about the history of a locomotive. The all time roster is simply amazing, it would be a terrible shame to loose it.

Please let me know if you need any info on current locos or equipment if you were to update it, id be happy to help out in any way possible!

Hope things are good out there in the heartland!!! Real railroading is quite different than armchair railroading isn't it? :) I hope none of the 'uh oh' pics from various yards across the country that always get sent around the railroads quicker than light speed are from your yard! :)

"STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND GIVE ME A CALL!!!!" ooooooooohhhhhhhhh boy
  by RiverMP21

Jtgshu wrote:I hope none of the 'uh oh' pics from various yards across the country that always get sent around the railroads quicker than light speed are from your yard! :)

"STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND GIVE ME A CALL!!!!" ooooooooohhhhhhhhh boy
Jtgshu, I have no idea what you're talking about... ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Jtgshu

Gee....why am I not surprised to see that sticker on the nose of the 3007?

by RiverMP21

Jtgshu wrote:Gee....why am I not surprised to see that sticker on the nose of the 3007?

No comment... *cough* *cough*
  by ACeInTheHole

And not only is it an RCU, he buried it in the side of an AC4400CW to boot, I imagine yard management was not too thrilled with this...
  by Jtgshu

beanbag wrote:And not only is it an RCU, he buried it in the side of an AC4400CW to boot, I imagine yard management was not too thrilled with this...
It wouldn't matter if it was in the side of a GP9.....the whole two things occupying the same place at the same time doesn't go over well on the railroad, unless its coupler to coupler, and even then sometimes that not supposed to happen!
  by NJT4272

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Its gone, I tell ya! All gone!

This cannot stand! I just needed it for something very important and its gone!

Please! I know they fella that maintained it frequents this place!

RiverMP21, in the name of all that is good and holy - Please bring http://www.hobokenterminal.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; back!!!!