• Purpose of Highway Controller

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by john60

I was on the NJ Coast Line the other day heading north from Bayhead.
At several stations around the Red Bank area I seen the conductor get out of the train
and insert a key into a Highway Control Box.

I was just curious as to what this is for? Never noticed it in the past.
  by Grump

When an eastbound train arrives into Red Bank, Middletown, Hazlet, or Matawan station and stops in the station short of the road, after a set period of time the crossing gates will raise ahead of the train and allow auto traffic to pass. The conductor will key the gates to either keep them down or lower them if they already have raised when it is time to depart.

An interesting note is at Red Bank the gates at the mess of an intersection at Monmouth Street stay down, but the Shrewsbury Ave gates are the ones to come up.

Eastbounds also key the gates at Long Branch for Westwood Ave(and the pedestrian crossing on track 2 in the station).
  by OportRailfan

I think we all know the real purpose, is to see if you can beat the hell out of car roofs.
  by michaelk

Grump wrote:When an eastbound train arrives into Red Bank, Middletown, Hazlet, or Matawan station and stops in the station short of the road, after a set period of time the crossing gates will raise ahead of the train and allow auto traffic to pass. The conductor will key the gates to either keep them down or lower them if they already have raised when it is time to depart.

An interesting note is at Red Bank the gates at the mess of an intersection at Monmouth Street stay down, but the Shrewsbury Ave gates are the ones to come up.

Eastbounds also key the gates at Long Branch for Westwood Ave(and the pedestrian crossing on track 2 in the station).
When i was a kid (around the electrification) and the Matawan station used to be between Main and Atlantic if the gates went back up the engineer would have to creep up to main street to get to the (excuse the technical term) "thingies" between the rails to actuate the gates. Just curious if such set ups exist anymore or they put in key boxes to "correct" that? Is it still possible to creep up onto the "thingies"?
  by Jtgshu

michaelk wrote:
Grump wrote:When an eastbound train arrives into Red Bank, Middletown, Hazlet, or Matawan station and stops in the station short of the road, after a set period of time the crossing gates will raise ahead of the train and allow auto traffic to pass. The conductor will key the gates to either keep them down or lower them if they already have raised when it is time to depart.

When i was a kid (around the electrification) and the Matawan station used to be between Main and Atlantic if the gates went back up the engineer would have to creep up to main street to get to the (excuse the technical term) "thingies" between the rails to actuate the gates. Just curious if such set ups exist anymore or they put in key boxes to "correct" that? Is it still possible to creep up onto the "thingies"?
hahaa "thingies" - hahaha

The term you are looking for is "island circuit" :) All grade Xings have an island circuit, and if the engineer stops the train too far back, the gates will come up at most stations with a crossing nearby. Then the engineer would have to creep up and activate the Xing by crawling up to it. Even stations with the keyboxes, the engineer can activate them by creeping up to the Xing. This happens when the conductor forgets to key the gates......

As far as I know (i was told), the keyboxes are on the Coast Line because they can't do the speed sensing crossings because of the electric catenary system. The "rail return circuit" part of the catenary system (think of the ground and rails as being a ground for the electricity) apparently affects those speed sensing Xings, and they don't work reliably. So all the crossings in the electric territory are "old fashioned" in the sense that they are set for the fastest track speed, and when a train is going slower, the gates stay down for a long time. For example, on the Raritan Line, when a westbound is stopped in Bridgewater, the gates at Polhemous Lane will go up once they sense the train is not coming (yet). Once the train gets close, the gates will reactivate and come down. A similar distance would be Hazlet and either Bethany Road or Beers St. If that was on the raritan line for example, the gates would probably go up because they could sense a train was stopped in hazlet station. However, because of the electrification, they stay down the entire time and aren't able to raise. When the gates rise in Hazlet station (and Beers St.) when a train is sitting there, its similar, but the conductor has to key them down, the system isn't set up to sense it automatically.

Confused yet? :) I am haha
  by sixty-six

Jtgshu wrote:
As far as I know (i was told), the keyboxes are on the Coast Line because they can't do the speed sensing crossings because of the electric catenary system. The "rail return circuit" part of the catenary system (think of the ground and rails as being a ground for the electricity) apparently affects those speed sensing Xings, and they don't work reliably. So all the crossings in the electric territory are "old fashioned" in the sense that they are set for the fastest track speed, and when a train is going slower, the gates stay down for a long time.
Does that apply only to electrics? When working the Aqua Train on the Montclair Line, the gates would come down when I was much closer to a crossing, compared to the M&E or Gladstone Branch. Keyboxes would be quite helpful at Ramsey Main St. westbound...
  by Grump

OportRailfan wrote:I think we all know the real purpose, is to see if you can beat the hell out of car roofs.
Or prying kayaks off the tops of Subarus and gashing the sides of Volvos or the occaisional rear end collision.
  by OportRailfan

Jtgshu wrote:
Confused yet? :) I am haha
Find out what kind of track circuits NJT uses?
  by ACeInTheHole

Grump wrote:
OportRailfan wrote:I think we all know the real purpose, is to see if you can beat the hell out of car roofs.
Or prying kayaks off the tops of Subarus and gashing the sides of Volvos or the occaisional rear end collision.
Having been in a car driven by my mom when the dog has sat on the brake pedal causing the car to full ABS panic brake from 40 Mph, i can say those near rear enders are no fun.
  by TAMR213

beanbag wrote:
Grump wrote:
Having been in a car driven by my mom when the dog has sat on the brake pedal causing the car to full ABS panic brake from 40 Mph, i can say those near rear enders are no fun.
  by sixty-six

beanbag wrote:
Grump wrote:
Something tells me your dog shouldnt be running rampant in the car while someone's driving...
  by ACeInTheHole

sixty-six wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Grump wrote:
Something tells me your dog shouldnt be running rampant in the car while someone's driving...
It was a minivan he snuck in the open space between the front seat and the dashboard when no one was looking, in my car, trust me, i make him sit in the back. And there is no such opening for him to get in the pedal box.
  by ricknj

The key box on the eastbound side in Redbank is used to raise the Gates when you have to stay in the station for an long period of time.
Also eastbound trains coming out of Longbranch yard(making a station stop) on track 1 have to key the gates at Westwood Ave to get the signal to come up to anything better then a restricting.
  by Steampowered

Couldnt they just put a garage door open kinda thing in the train , so the crews dont have to leave the train ?
  by Backshophoss

You need to put in a reciver in the "shed" that controls the gates/lights,then use the # keys on the radio to transmit tones to turn on/off the gates
you can also the tones to throw switches as well.
On NMRX ,in Los Lunas and Los Ranchos when stopped at those stations the gates will time out,they use DTMF tones to turn on the gates/lights
when departing. More things to drive the signal dept. nutty.