Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Jtgshu

to me, its nice to have a change and challenge every once in a while, thats why I liked the Comet 3s, but once you figured them out, they were at least consistant. The 46a's are not consistant at all. Every time you stop is a little different. Just when you think you have it figured out, and it works fine, then its a pain for no reason, and doesn't draw power, takes forever to load, gives a kick, etc etc.
  by ACeInTheHole

Jtgshu wrote:to me, its nice to have a change and challenge every once in a while, thats why I liked the Comet 3s, but once you figured them out, they were at least consistant. The 46a's are not consistant at all. Every time you stop is a little different. Just when you think you have it figured out, and it works fine, then its a pain for no reason, and doesn't draw power, takes forever to load, gives a kick, etc etc.
Im the same way, like lets say im playing Gran Turismo, taking a challenging car such as a Ferrari F40 for a spin, with no ABS or stability control, exactly the way it is in real life, and practicing with it until i can make the challenging car consistent. Also I prefer the least software possible, I am a supporter of as much interface between man and machine as possible, my car is the one car in thr family without stability control and it is also the only one with a mechanical throttle, if the car slips because i gave it too much power, there is no computers to blame, only me. So i can see where you are coming from JT and Uzi, sorry if I came off like a numbnut I know what I was trying to get at i just did not say it correctly.
  by ThirdRail7

TSF wrote:Gonna hop here and ask the more knowledgable people before i go wasting managements time again. Any progress on fixing the glitches in the 46a? The non conforming cab signals due to digital adjustments.
I can't help you with the rest, but this part is easily solved: If you are having trun non conformity issues, cut out your cabs. Believe me, that will get the problem solved. Better yet, emulate my man with the white hair on the Newark Division(I know his name, but I'm not going to post it, obvicously.) Cut out the cabs, then spend 5 minutes on the radio quoting the rule and if the dispatchers are confused, spend another 5 minutes describing the history of the faults, how many time it has been reported, and what the solution is until they just give up.

I love him. He is so entertaining, particularly in SSYD. If any train is up to snuff prior to departure, it is his. They know he's not here to play, so they make sure there are no issues.

Do the same!
  by TSF

ThirdRail7 wrote:
TSF wrote:Gonna hop here and ask the more knowledgable people before i go wasting managements time again. Any progress on fixing the glitches in the 46a? The non conforming cab signals due to digital adjustments.
I can't help you with the rest, but this part is easily solved: If you are having trun non conformity issues, cut out your cabs. Believe me, that will get the problem solved. Better yet, emulate my man with the white hair on the Newark Division(I know his name, but I'm not going to post it, obvicously.) Cut out the cabs, then spend 5 minutes on the radio quoting the rule and if the dispatchers are confused, spend another 5 minutes describing the history of the faults, how many time it has been reported, and what the solution is until they just give up.

I love him. He is so entertaining, particularly in SSYD. If any train is up to snuff prior to departure, it is his. They know he's not here to play, so they make sure there are no issues.

Do the same!
i would love to fail the cabs but the problem is by rule they are not, non conforming. when you go under a cab speed (which for us is only 60 or 80) they drop to 45 and sometimes they require suppression, sometimes they dont. however cab speed rule says the speed can be 45,60, 80 or 100. Now by experience we know something is malfunctioning however once your brought up on charges for disabling the atc constantly and you say "this is wrong" at the hearing and they bitchslap you with a norac book your the one out of service because they cant fix it. its catch 22. theres certain rfn's ive chatted to that know of the issue and are attempting to get something done but i think it keeps falling on deaf ears. what ive taken to doing is when my motor is flipping around, call sec A. and tell him "im doin 45 due to my cabs flippin round. sorry for slowin down your assella. im in motor 46**...
  by Jtgshu

ThirdRail7 wrote:

Do the same!
Yes, its great when he cuts out his cabs after coming in on Track 3 in Newark Penn and gets his two non conformities. Is he wrong? Technically no, but.....

The day I do anything like him, im going to hand in my handles and my reverser key and my licence and go work in retail.

And yes, it is easier to just stay at 60 coming out of the tunnel and start slowing down to 45 from Bergen west all the way to Secaucus. Its quicker than constantly jamming on the brakes and getting a penalty. The worst location is Allied going from 3 to A....but it does it elsewhere too.

Also, TSF, you can't say they haven't modified the '46As - at least now we can kinda hear the cab signal changes, unlike before when they were first delivered!!!!

You would be going right along, and the constant radio chatter (how the heck does the loud mouth disp that was working CTEC 9, who is now working 8 manage to overpower everyone else on the radio?) doesn't let you hear the cab change and all of a sudden, you loose power and the train starts slowing down - WTF?!?!?! you look down and there it is...

"You MF'er......."

Why can't they just load like the original 46s and have the same SDU (cab signals and speedo)......they would be darn near perfect then. So close, but yet so far.
  by Notch 8

Here's a novel idea....

Why not instead of complaining about it on a public forum, try these things:

Maybe you actually report it to the NY Road Foreman.
Maybe report it to the Section A dispatcher.
Maybe fill it out as a defect on your 1155.
Maybe fill out a UOR to document it each and every time so there is an actual paper trail to show what is going on.

I can tell you exactly how many times this happened in the last two months : 0.

If there is a condition that is causing an unnecessary delay, report it to the right person. It is not a waste of time.

And by the way, you might want to read NORAC Rule L before you post this kind of stuff on here.
  by Sirsonic

Notch 8 wrote:Here's a novel idea....

Maybe fill out a UOR to document it each and every time so there is an actual paper trail to show what is going on.

If there is a condition that is causing an unnecessary delay, report it to the right person. It is not a waste of time.

And by the way, you might want to read NORAC Rule L before you post this kind of stuff on here.
Notch 8 is quite correct here. There are much better places to discuss these issues than this public forum, and much better ways to get the issues we are all aware of addressed. I can guarantee that discussing this here will get nothing accomplished.
  by Grump

I'll print this topic out, and run it through the scantron machine tomorrow in the signup room. All will be solved.
  by ryanov

Well, it may not accomplish anything, but it's interesting reading for me.
  by OportRailfan

Is this not a suitable replacement?

by Jtgshu

Thats only adequate on Fridays, Oport!

thanks for the info Notch, Ill keep it in mind!

As annoying as they can be at times, they are still light years better than the '44Ms they replace! And it is fun watching the computer screen and its building up power and see it go up to and past pulling 7 MW of power.....Tim the tool man Taylor would be proud!!
  by TSF

Ive reported it to you multiple times and as awesome as you are at what you do (im not joking here, you really are) i know not just one man can crusade for all this. Ive asked many different management, filled many 1155's, uor, reports to dspr and just seems to fall on deaf ears. Ill be going to our union now as unfortunatly you cant and try to get it taken care of that way.
  by 25Hz

ThirdRail7 wrote:

Do the same!
That guy is my favorite NJT engineer if we are talking bout the same person. Him & the one conductor that describes everything that amtrak trains cause to go wrong an "amtrak disaster" on the same train = on time & entertained.
  by Kaback9

Seems like some sound advice. Thread over.