• Rumor mill: Amtrak to operate MARC Camden and Brunswick Line

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by gp40marc69

I was talking to one of the CSX conductors this morning on the Camden Line and he told me that Amtrak is going to start running the Camden and Brunswick Lines starting January 2013. I haven't heard official word about the contract being awarded to Amtrak to operate those services, but I'm sure something will come out pretty soon.
  by ThirdRail7

gp40marc69 wrote:I was talking to one of the CSX conductors this morning on the Camden Line and he told me that Amtrak is going to start running the Camden and Brunswick Lines starting January 2013. I haven't heard official word about the contract being awarded to Amtrak to operate those services, but I'm sure something will come out pretty soon.

Interesting. I wasn't even aware Amtrak placed a bid. I thought they didn't want to assume the liability of passenger service on the CSX lines.
  by davinp

Too bad they didn't consider Keolis like VRE has. Keolis have been doing a good job lately keeping VRE OTP at over 95%.
Their are reports of some friendly conductors and rude conductors on VRE
  by gp40marc69

davinp wrote:Too bad they didn't consider Keolis like VRE has. Keolis have been doing a good job lately keeping VRE OTP at over 95%.
Their are reports of some friendly conductors and rude conductors on VRE
They were considering Keolis but the they had that whole look into their connections with SNCF and the Holocaust.
  by ThirdRail7

davinp wrote:Too bad they didn't consider Keolis like VRE has. Keolis have been doing a good job lately keeping VRE OTP at over 95%.
I've noticed you've made this comment on more than one occasion. It begs to have this question answered: Did Keolis remove the extra padding that was put in order to improve OTP?
  by Amtrak67 of America

Thirdrail, pay Davidnp no mind. He has some kind of grudge against Amtrak? Its rather quite sickening. Amtrak backed out of bidding on the other MARC serices awhile back because Maryland wanted whoever was to run the service to assume all liability if something were to happen, and that was something Amtrak did not want to do. If Amtrak gets the service, GREAT, if not, then who cares? The service wont be going anywhere and despite what David has to paint about VRE, a few Keolis employees I know paint a different picture how the finacial aspect for Keolis isnt so great and they are starting to look at things to cut and save money. They underbid Amtrak for a reason to getthe service but didnt take everything into account....FYI, that whole Keolis and holocaust thing is an absolute joke. Not trying to sound insensitive towards the jews but we are living in different times now....Very frustrating.