• Operator Manuals For New Haven Electric Locomotives

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Earle Baldwin

An area of particular interest for me is locomotive design, construction and operation so one of my collecting focuses is operator manuals. Most of what I have acquired thus far consists of manuals for standard production diesel locomotives but I’d like to begin looking for less common items such as those published for electric locomotives. Would those familiar with the operation of NH electrics be kind enough to tell me what was issued for the various classes of motors so I might have an idea as to what is available in the enthusiast marketplace?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Bob
  by Earle Baldwin

Well, I appear to have answered my own question, at least to a certain degree. As a result of some diligent searching, I have been able to acquire a New Haven manual titled "Operating Instructions for Electric Multiple Unit Motor and Trailer Cars." The manual is 61 pages in length and contains additional fold out illustrations at the end. The effective date is June 1, 1947.

For purposes of illustration, here is the link to the piece I purchased:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130493541953?ss ... 1497.l2649
  by JWilson

There was a hardbound operating manual published for the original pony motors. It is about 5 x 7, 65 (+/-) pages with two large fold out diagrams. It includes a warning that if the book is not returned upon the employees end of service twenty-five cents will be deducted from his pay.