• West Slope trip report

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by dwil89

Got home a couple of days ago from my latest trip out to the West Slope. I t began with a 5AM departure on Thursday, with a 7:45 AM stop at Enola for breakfast. Then, it was down 11/15 to survey the Yards. Nothing unusual in the Motive Power Dept at that time. Then, it was up to the Iron Bridge for a few trains. Then, on to the Boat launch in Marysville near the Rockville Bridge for some good mainline action, plus activity heading into and out of Enola. A 30T off the Buffalo Line into Enola had CP and Soo Power. Then, it was on to Cove, and Duncannon, and then out 22 towards Cresson through some heavy snow squalls. The next few days were spent around the Altoona-Johnstown area. I spent time at MO in Cresson, Carneys Crossing and the field near the Signal Bridge in Lilly, as well as Cassandra, Portage, South Fork, and Conemaugh. I got some interesting shots of trains in heavy squalls, along with trains getting lost in clouds of thrown snow. Saturday, a couple of local fans and myself met a group of 6 Railfans at Altoona who came in from Ohio on Amtrak for the day. We took them all around Altoona and Juniata, to the Juniata turntable, Works, the view of the deadline along Chestnut Street, Horseshoe Curve, and Gallitzin. It was an enjoyable day. After dinner, we dropped them back to the Altoona Station for an evening departure home to Ohio. Sunday, I did more fanning and pic taking on the West Slope. I have booked another week later in March at Cresson. I am starting to upload pics from the trip to my Yahoo site: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nsaltoonajohnstown Dave Williams