• Amtrak train in tv ad.

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by 25Hz

Sprint had an ad just now on CBS during tge AFC championship game touting unlimited data for iPhone. Part of the ad shows airial footage of a long consist of amfleets pulled by a HHP8 on the hell gate causeway...

My question is: why doesn't Amtrak go this route? Show the trains, show the seats, the luggage racks, everything? Have footage of people leaving trains at terminals etc? They have a treasure trove of possibilities.
  by R36 Combine Coach

This commercial had been running for several months, and appeared during the MLB playoffs in October and from time to time since then. Here it is.
  by 25Hz

It's just a fantastic vantage point. I'm sure they could have a longer clip with trains meeting & passing at some point.
  by R36 Combine Coach

One footnote: the skyline in the background of the shot is "photoshopped". The view of the train is heading north over Astoria Park approaching the main arch span. But Lower Manhattan is in the background. The actual view would face southeast into Queens, not Lower Manhattan.
  by themallard

Did anyone notice the engineer is playing angry birds?
  by SwingMan

themallard wrote:Did anyone notice the engineer is playing angry birds?

On boy..
  by hi55us

And the cafe attendant is on facebook =)

The park to the right of the train is actually there, its called Astoria Park (nice place for nature lovers and railfans)
  by afiggatt

25Hz wrote:My question is: why doesn't Amtrak go this route? Show the trains, show the seats, the luggage racks, everything? Have footage of people leaving trains at terminals etc? They have a treasure trove of possibilities.
Amtrak has run plenty of TV commercials in recent years. Think their TV commercials have mostly been locally or regionally aired ads, not national because a commercial for the Acela in Wyoming is not going to do much to bring in business. With the budget having been cut in the FY11 monthly reports for the Advertising and Sales category from $115 million in FY10 to $80 million in FY11, Amtrak may have decided to cut back on the TV advertising budget to trim overhead costs for the year.
  by ns3010

Angry Birds is so last year... Temple Run all the way!
:-)

Amtrak does have commercials on TV. Not a lot, but they are out there.
  by hi55us

ns3010 wrote: Amtrak does have commercials on TV. Not a lot, but they are out there.
I routinely get ads for the Acela in Manhattan.
  by Greg Moore

hi55us wrote:
ns3010 wrote: Amtrak does have commercials on TV. Not a lot, but they are out there.
I routinely get ads for the Acela in Manhattan.
I used to get them when I was in DC.

I think I've seen a few in Albany.

A lot has to do with the market. You won't see many in Kansas for example I'm betting since the cost per number of new passengers just wouldn't make it worth it. (i.e. even if they doubled their # of passengers in Kansas it would be a loss.)
  by gprimr1

Money is also a big factor. TV time is not cheap in any way.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Most Amtrak commercials (in the NY market) run on local networks such as MSG and SNY (the Mets sports network, Amtrak is a major Mets sponsor), especially during NHL/NBA games. Others occur on local broadcast stations.
  by 25Hz

Citi field does have the acela club... It's pretty sweet too.

I guess what I'm saying is that whatever the relevant market, Amtrak should show off their product. Be it city of new Orleans along that route, acela along the nec, or maple leaf/adirondack in Ontario/Quebec & some NEC states. Print & poster is fine, but tv & online are where lots of eyes tread these days. Maybe some refreshing eye candy ads could draw in some more revenue.
  by mtuandrew

25Hz wrote:Citi field does have the acela club... It's pretty sweet too.

I guess what I'm saying is that whatever the relevant market, Amtrak should show off their product. Be it city of new Orleans along that route, acela along the nec, or maple leaf/adirondack in Ontario/Quebec & some NEC states. Print & poster is fine, but tv & online are where lots of eyes tread these days. Maybe some refreshing eye candy ads could draw in some more revenue.
TV for big (sporting/awards) events and especially popular shows, online for most other things. I'd be surprised if Google wasn't getting some ad revenue from Amtrak, on third-party sites marketing to business travelers on the Eastern Seaboard. Maybe for Florida-bound folks too.