A Dirty CZ

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

A Dirty CZ

Postby Midlands Steve » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:07 am

Last month, my sister and her husband took a rail tour from Chicago to San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and return. Most people on the tour were seniors. Leaving Chicago, the sleeper they occupied on the CZ was filthy--the floors had not been vacuumed nor were the windows washed. Food had been dropped onto the floor by previous passengers. Equipment was old and battered. By the time the train reached the Rockies, it was almost impossible for passengers to take any photos (in the sightseer lounge) because the windows were so dirty. It seems like the train could have been washed somewhere, but it never was. Many irate passengers vowed never to use Amtrak again. Why would a train leave its origin in this condition and who gets the blame?
Midlands Steve

Re: A Dirty CZ

Postby Backshophoss » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:21 am

Seems like they short turned the consist at Chicago and bypassed the car washer,hopefully the car attendant reported to their boss the cars were not cleaned.
Backshophoss

Postby electricron » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:18 am

When I have ridden the Zephyr, they wash the windows during the long stop in Denver. Don’t they do that anymore?
https://youtu.be/1NZ6MFnK1Pg
electricron

Postby Backshophoss » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:46 pm

Would not surprise me if the window washing was canned by Mr Anderson,the SW Chief would get a wash from a Forklift mounted power brush
at ABQ service stop.
That has been discontinued as well. :( :(
Backshophoss

Postby bubbytrains » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:04 pm

When we rode the CZ to California in March, they washed the windows in Denver during our stop there.
A.S.
bubbytrains

Postby chuchubob » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:44 am

When I rode the eastbound Zephyr from California a couple weeks ago they washed the windows in Denver.
chuchubob

Postby Amtrak706 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:22 pm

Rode the SWC and CZ this August. At ABQ, the windows were washed, but with a hand held brush on a pole and only on one side of the train. Snatching a defeat from the jaws of victory as Amtrak does so well, they managed to use a dirty brush which ended up smearing more grime around then there was before. We got in early so they weren't rushing or anything - not to suggest that Amtrak ever does make an effort to make up time.

On the Zephyr, the windows got the same treatment at Denver but the brush was clean and they did both sides.
Amtrak706

Postby mmi16 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:55 pm

Backshophoss wrote:Would not surprise me if the window washing was canned by Mr Anderson,the SW Chief would get a wash from a Forklift mounted power brush
at ABQ service stop.
That has been discontinued as well. :( :(

You can't run off passengers if they can actually see what they expect to see on their journey. :(
Never too old to have a happy childhood!
mmi16

Postby JimBoylan » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:41 pm

Are there any more car wash water spray nozzles at the ends of Mofat Tunnel?
JimBoylan

Postby bratkinson » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:04 pm

One of my reasons for always taking a lower roomette on Superliner equipped trains is that I can wash my own window as needed at any stop where the platform is on the same side as my roomette. I've washed the windows in both doors at stops as well.
bratkinson

Return to Amtrak